Re: Useful dictionaries

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2000
      Radovan Pletka wrote:

      > the only reasonable way to use hais/hodek is to use it in electronic
      form -
      > from Leda, which works both ways E>Cz, and also Cz>E. It is not cheap, but
      > if you value your time, it is a must

      I have the software. Although it's probably the most comperehensive one of
      its kind on the market, you always need some other dictionaries. It is
      EXPENSIVE and I think it's ovecharged. The electronic version is an exact
      copy of the printed version, including the typos and other errors and
      mistakes too. The search features are very inflexible and since it is
      primarily an English->Czech dictionary equipped with Czech->English search,
      you can easily end up with hundreds of expressions suggested (from Czech to
      English) to sieve through "manually". When it doesn't find what you've
      entered, and with some other operations, you have to switch between the
      keyboard and mouse a few times unergonomically. I don't know about the
      current state, but my copy of 1995 would definitely need improvements to be
      worth the price (15,000 Kc then).

      Jirka Bolech
      Liberec, CR