Re: [Czechlist] TERM: na zelene louce

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      > >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
      > >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
      different
      > >phrase in the States.
      >
      > The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
      > Michael

      It was the whole caboodle that my former boss didn't like: he thought it was
      Czenglish (whereas, according to Michal, the Czech expression is actually a
      translation of the English).

      I don't see any grammatical justification for writing "greenfield" rather
      than "green-field", though I accept that it is widely used. It's not as if
      it's a noun in its own right, like blackbird: it's only ever used in
      attributive position.

      Simon
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
        > Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
        > as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
        > which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
        > alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
        > ("usable area" seems to be standard).

        I had to deal with this one when translating all the guff about the
        (in)famous reconstruction of the CNB building. In the end, I opted
        for "area covered (by the reconstruction)". And for "obestaveny
        prostor" I used "volume enclosed". If anyone has any better ideas,
        though, I'd also be glad to hear them.

        Simon