Re: [Czechlist] TERM: na zelene louce

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
      >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a different
      >phrase in the States.

      The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        > >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
        > >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
        different
        > >phrase in the States.
        >
        > The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
        > Michael

        It was the whole caboodle that my former boss didn't like: he thought it was
        Czenglish (whereas, according to Michal, the Czech expression is actually a
        translation of the English).

        I don't see any grammatical justification for writing "greenfield" rather
        than "green-field", though I accept that it is widely used. It's not as if
        it's a noun in its own right, like blackbird: it's only ever used in
        attributive position.

        Simon
      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
          > Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
          > as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
          > which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
          > alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
          > ("usable area" seems to be standard).

          I had to deal with this one when translating all the guff about the
          (in)famous reconstruction of the CNB building. In the end, I opted
          for "area covered (by the reconstruction)". And for "obestaveny
          prostor" I used "volume enclosed". If anyone has any better ideas,
          though, I'd also be glad to hear them.

          Simon