Re: TERM: na zelene louce

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@v...>

      Rachel wrote:
      >Simon tells me that his former boss (an
      American)
      > didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
      different
      > phrase in the States. Any offers, anyone?
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Rachel

      Hullo,

      Here's a variation on the same theme:

      http://www.case.org.uk/press/bw0298.htm.

      Greenfield developments

      A major policy statement on planning, made by Government in January,
      has been widely condemned by environmental groups. This
      followed controversial decisions by the Environment Secretary to allow
      substantial greenfield developments outside Newcastle
      and in rural Hertfordshire, plus an instruction overturning the
      department's own inspectors report and forcing an extra 12,800 houses
      to he accommodated by the West Sussex Structure Plan. The CPRE has
      called for a radical reform of the planning process. The
      Government has subsequently suggested that a greenfield-development
      tax may he introduced. Tory politicians from the rural
      shires are also pressing for a greater emphasis to be placed on
      brownfield housing sites. The debate is sure to hot up over the
      spring.

      ----------
      Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
      as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
      which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
      alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
      ("usable area" seems to be standard).

      Enjoy your Sunday lunch,

      Melvyn
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        In a message dated 12/3/00 4:29:40 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

        >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
        >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place
        >on an undeveloped piece of land?

        I think you've just said it yourself. That it was built on undeveloped land.
        There's not really a nice way to say it, because nowadays Anglophonians
        think that building on undeveloped land is not nice.

        If someone is trying to create an atmosphere, or is trying to be poetic, I
        think you could just translate it literally, and say it was built on a green
        meadow.

        Jamie
      • Michal Ginter
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          A green field investment. The Czech term is a translation of an English
          term.
          M.

          >Hi,
          >
          >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
          >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place on
          >an undeveloped piece of land?
          >
          >Jirka Bolech

        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
            >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place on
            >an undeveloped piece of land?

            To build a facility on a greenfield site
            To build a greenfield facility/development/plant

            Michael

            Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
              >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
              >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a different
              >phrase in the States.

              The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
              Michael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
            • Simon Vaughan
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                > >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
                > >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
                different
                > >phrase in the States.
                >
                > The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
                > Michael

                It was the whole caboodle that my former boss didn't like: he thought it was
                Czenglish (whereas, according to Michal, the Czech expression is actually a
                translation of the English).

                I don't see any grammatical justification for writing "greenfield" rather
                than "green-field", though I accept that it is widely used. It's not as if
                it's a noun in its own right, like blackbird: it's only ever used in
                attributive position.

                Simon
              • Simon Vollam
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                  > Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
                  > as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
                  > which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
                  > alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
                  > ("usable area" seems to be standard).

                  I had to deal with this one when translating all the guff about the
                  (in)famous reconstruction of the CNB building. In the end, I opted
                  for "area covered (by the reconstruction)". And for "obestaveny
                  prostor" I used "volume enclosed". If anyone has any better ideas,
                  though, I'd also be glad to hear them.

                  Simon