Re: [Czechlist] TERM: na zelene louce

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      > Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na
      zelene
      > louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place
      on
      > an undeveloped piece of land?

      Hi Jirka,
      In Britain this would be called development on a "green-field site" (the
      opposite being a "brown-field site" -- land that has previously been built
      on). We also have "green-belt land", which is usually a strip of land
      around a city that has been set aside to remain undeveloped (usually only
      until the local council changes its mind when a lucrative enough proposal
      comes along). However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
      didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a different
      phrase in the States. Any offers, anyone?

      Hope this helps,
      Rachel
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        --- In Czechlist@egroups.com, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@v...>

        Rachel wrote:
        >Simon tells me that his former boss (an
        American)
        > didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
        different
        > phrase in the States. Any offers, anyone?
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Rachel

        Hullo,

        Here's a variation on the same theme:

        http://www.case.org.uk/press/bw0298.htm.

        Greenfield developments

        A major policy statement on planning, made by Government in January,
        has been widely condemned by environmental groups. This
        followed controversial decisions by the Environment Secretary to allow
        substantial greenfield developments outside Newcastle
        and in rural Hertfordshire, plus an instruction overturning the
        department's own inspectors report and forcing an extra 12,800 houses
        to he accommodated by the West Sussex Structure Plan. The CPRE has
        called for a radical reform of the planning process. The
        Government has subsequently suggested that a greenfield-development
        tax may he introduced. Tory politicians from the rural
        shires are also pressing for a greater emphasis to be placed on
        brownfield housing sites. The debate is sure to hot up over the
        spring.

        ----------
        Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
        as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
        which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
        alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
        ("usable area" seems to be standard).

        Enjoy your Sunday lunch,

        Melvyn
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          In a message dated 12/3/00 4:29:40 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

          >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
          >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place
          >on an undeveloped piece of land?

          I think you've just said it yourself. That it was built on undeveloped land.
          There's not really a nice way to say it, because nowadays Anglophonians
          think that building on undeveloped land is not nice.

          If someone is trying to create an atmosphere, or is trying to be poetic, I
          think you could just translate it literally, and say it was built on a green
          meadow.

          Jamie
        • Michal Ginter
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            A green field investment. The Czech term is a translation of an English
            term.
            M.

            >Hi,
            >
            >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
            >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place on
            >an undeveloped piece of land?
            >
            >Jirka Bolech

          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
              >Are there any suggestions how to nicely express 'build something "na zelene
              >louce" (zelene')', referring to the fact that a construction takes place on
              >an undeveloped piece of land?

              To build a facility on a greenfield site
              To build a greenfield facility/development/plant

              Michael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
                >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a different
                >phrase in the States.

                The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                  > >However, Simon tells me that his former boss (an American)
                  > >didn't like "green-field site", so it's possible that they use a
                  different
                  > >phrase in the States.
                  >
                  > The only thing about it that this American doesn't like is the hyphen.
                  > Michael

                  It was the whole caboodle that my former boss didn't like: he thought it was
                  Czenglish (whereas, according to Michal, the Czech expression is actually a
                  translation of the English).

                  I don't see any grammatical justification for writing "greenfield" rather
                  than "green-field", though I accept that it is widely used. It's not as if
                  it's a noun in its own right, like blackbird: it's only ever used in
                  attributive position.

                  Simon
                • Simon Vollam
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                    > Talking of building, I'd be interested to hear your preferences
                    > as regards "zastavena plocha" (the dictionaries say 'built-up area'
                    > which sounds OK to me for a whole district but perhaps some
                    > alternative exists for individual structures?) and "uzitna plocha"
                    > ("usable area" seems to be standard).

                    I had to deal with this one when translating all the guff about the
                    (in)famous reconstruction of the CNB building. In the end, I opted
                    for "area covered (by the reconstruction)". And for "obestaveny
                    prostor" I used "volume enclosed". If anyone has any better ideas,
                    though, I'd also be glad to hear them.

                    Simon