Re: [Czechlist] HELP: some technical terms

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hi Coilin,

      I am active in this branch (I mean in radios, not in StB), so I will try to answer.
      Please look into your texts.
      Honza

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
        Bacha, encoding = (za)kódování, kryptování.
        Klíčování, zaklíčování je tady přepnutí z příjmu na vysílání.
        Honza

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2010
          Yep, zaklicovani is pushing the Tx [Transmission, as opposed to Rx,
          receipt] button, often just pushing it shortly once or twice without
          talking (which gives you two bursts of static on the channel) - used as
          a short confirmation, though it's not proper RP [Radio Procedure, not
          Received Pronunciation] as it might be mistaken for natural or someone
          else's static....

          Can't think of an equivalent shorter than "pushing the push-to-talk"
          button, for some reason, but there must be one... in your sentence,
          something like "an identification sign was sent whenever the station
          started to transmit" will work too, IMHO

          Simplexni is simplex, opposite of duplex/duplexni, see below..

          I think sitovy zdroj is just a transformer here, i.e. what you use
          between a wall socket and your notebook, so saying mains/grid power
          supply is not that accurate

          Vozidlova is a specific term meaning a radio that is built-in into a
          vehicle and used in that vehicle... it's a mobile as opposed to fixed
          station, but not a hand-held one... car radio set might sound like a
          car stereo to some ears, IMHO, "vehicle radio (station)" or something
          along these lines sounds suitably STB-ish, IMHO

          Zdrojova skrinka is a box containing the power source, or, more likely,
          a transformer again (see above), like that part of a desktop computer
          called 'zdroj'... I would just say "power unit" or something similar

          Hlasite simplexni hovorove soupravy are not walkie talkies. They are
          peripherals hitched to a radio set capable of simplex operation to give
          you a similar function to what would be called 'speaker phone' on a
          landline telephone. Simplex operation/provoz is when you can't hear the
          other party at the same time as you talk - as you would on a phone
          that's duplex, it uses two frequencies, one out and one in.... in
          simplex, one person talks, then says 'over', releases the PTT button,
          the other person knows it's their turn, pushes their PTT button and
          speaks.... so what you looking for is something like 'simplex speaker
          phone-type sets' ...

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 28, 2011
            We've had this one before - Coilin was asking about it...

            In Czech, zaklicovat means "pressing the push to talk button", either
            to hold it and talk, or, more often, just pressing it twice to give a
            quick confirmation or test the radio ..

            I'm trying to find an official - and hopefully short and easy to say -
            English equivalent and can't think of one, as far as I can tell, it's
            "push the PTT button", but that's too long and complicated, we need it
            for an automated information system at the airfield (incoming aircraft
            crews will get traffic and landing info by tuning onto a dedicated
            channel and pressing the PTT for 2 seconds to start the message)... We
            need to tell them to do so (zaklicovat) in Czech and English, otherwise
            they may not know, and we need to say it clearly and shortly, otherwise
            they may not understand..

            Any ideas?

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28, 2011
              Ahoj Mateji,

              ja bych rekl, ze ceske "zaklicovat" vzniklo z anglickeho "key":
              http://www.ac6v.com/jargon.htm...

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 28, 2011
                Diky Jirko,

                to zni plausibilne, jenze nejak si neuvedomuju, ze bych to nekdy slysel
                pouzite v takove frazi, na lodi nebo na letadle..

                Kdyz koukam na net, tak "to key" se skutecne pouziva a znamena to
                zmacknout (casto pomoci jineho pristoje) PTT, ale nejsem si 100% jisty,
                zda se to da pouzit ve frazi:

                "naladte frekvenci 126.5 a zaklicujte" Set your RX to 126.5 and key???

                Nevi nekdo?