Re: [Czechlist] HELP: some technical terms

  • Jan Culka
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
      Hi Coilin,

      I am active in this branch (I mean in radios, not in StB), so I will try to answer.
      Please look into your texts.
      Honza

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2010
          Bacha, encoding = (za)kódování, kryptování.
          Klíčování, zaklíčování je tady přepnutí z příjmu na vysílání.
          Honza

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2010
            Yep, zaklicovani is pushing the Tx [Transmission, as opposed to Rx,
            receipt] button, often just pushing it shortly once or twice without
            talking (which gives you two bursts of static on the channel) - used as
            a short confirmation, though it's not proper RP [Radio Procedure, not
            Received Pronunciation] as it might be mistaken for natural or someone
            else's static....

            Can't think of an equivalent shorter than "pushing the push-to-talk"
            button, for some reason, but there must be one... in your sentence,
            something like "an identification sign was sent whenever the station
            started to transmit" will work too, IMHO

            Simplexni is simplex, opposite of duplex/duplexni, see below..

            I think sitovy zdroj is just a transformer here, i.e. what you use
            between a wall socket and your notebook, so saying mains/grid power
            supply is not that accurate

            Vozidlova is a specific term meaning a radio that is built-in into a
            vehicle and used in that vehicle... it's a mobile as opposed to fixed
            station, but not a hand-held one... car radio set might sound like a
            car stereo to some ears, IMHO, "vehicle radio (station)" or something
            along these lines sounds suitably STB-ish, IMHO

            Zdrojova skrinka is a box containing the power source, or, more likely,
            a transformer again (see above), like that part of a desktop computer
            called 'zdroj'... I would just say "power unit" or something similar

            Hlasite simplexni hovorove soupravy are not walkie talkies. They are
            peripherals hitched to a radio set capable of simplex operation to give
            you a similar function to what would be called 'speaker phone' on a
            landline telephone. Simplex operation/provoz is when you can't hear the
            other party at the same time as you talk - as you would on a phone
            that's duplex, it uses two frequencies, one out and one in.... in
            simplex, one person talks, then says 'over', releases the PTT button,
            the other person knows it's their turn, pushes their PTT button and
            speaks.... so what you looking for is something like 'simplex speaker
            phone-type sets' ...

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28 2:17 AM
              We've had this one before - Coilin was asking about it...

              In Czech, zaklicovat means "pressing the push to talk button", either
              to hold it and talk, or, more often, just pressing it twice to give a
              quick confirmation or test the radio ..

              I'm trying to find an official - and hopefully short and easy to say -
              English equivalent and can't think of one, as far as I can tell, it's
              "push the PTT button", but that's too long and complicated, we need it
              for an automated information system at the airfield (incoming aircraft
              crews will get traffic and landing info by tuning onto a dedicated
              channel and pressing the PTT for 2 seconds to start the message)... We
              need to tell them to do so (zaklicovat) in Czech and English, otherwise
              they may not know, and we need to say it clearly and shortly, otherwise
              they may not understand..

              Any ideas?

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 28 2:27 AM
                Ahoj Mateji,

                ja bych rekl, ze ceske "zaklicovat" vzniklo z anglickeho "key":
                http://www.ac6v.com/jargon.htm...

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 28 5:19 AM
                  Diky Jirko,

                  to zni plausibilne, jenze nejak si neuvedomuju, ze bych to nekdy slysel
                  pouzite v takove frazi, na lodi nebo na letadle..

                  Kdyz koukam na net, tak "to key" se skutecne pouziva a znamena to
                  zmacknout (casto pomoci jineho pristoje) PTT, ale nejsem si 100% jisty,
                  zda se to da pouzit ve frazi:

                  "naladte frekvenci 126.5 a zaklicujte" Set your RX to 126.5 and key???

                  Nevi nekdo?