Re: [Czechlist] HELP: Forms of address for American dignitaries

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
      On Apr 3, 2010, at 7:59 AM, coilinoc wrote:

      > President (Dear Mr. President?)

      Mr. / Madam President (Dear President [last name])

      > Secretary of State (Dear. Ms. Clinton?)

      Mr. / Madam Secretary (Dear Mr. / Madam Secretary)
      I think it would also be proper to write "Dear Secretary [last name]"

      > Admiral (Dear Admiral + surname?)

      Dear Admiral (Dear Admiral [last name])

      > Ambassador (Your Excellency?)

      Mr. / Madam Ambassador (Dear Mr. / Madam Ambassador)

      JK

    • Liz Spacilova
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2010
        Hi,

        One other thing that we do differently - we use a colon at the end of the salutation -- Dear Mr. President:

        Otherwise, excellent resource here - http://www.ita.doc.gov/ita_sec/Address%20and%20Salutation.htm

        - Liz

        > On Apr 3, 2010, at 7:59 AM, coilinoc wrote:
        >
        > > President (Dear Mr. President?)
        >
        > Mr. / Madam President (Dear President [last name])
        >
        > > Secretary of State (Dear. Ms. Clinton?)
        >
        > Mr. / Madam Secretary (Dear Mr. / Madam Secretary)
        > I think it would also be proper to write "Dear Secretary [last name]"
        >
        > > Admiral (Dear Admiral + surname?)
        >
        > Dear Admiral (Dear Admiral [last name])
        >
        > > Ambassador (Your Excellency?)
        >
        > Mr. / Madam Ambassador (Dear Mr. / Madam Ambassador)
        >
        > JK

      • coilinoc
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2010
          Thanks, Jamie