HELP: Forms of address for American dignitaries

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
      Hi there,

      I have a slightly unusual question for our cousins across the pond.

      Are there any specific forms of address that should be used when writing a letter to the following US dignitaries:

      President (Dear Mr. President?)
      Secretary of State (Dear. Ms. Clinton?)
      Admiral (Dear Admiral + surname?)
      Ambassador (Your Excellency?)

      MTIA in advance for any further elucidation.

      Best regards

      Coilin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
        On Apr 3, 2010, at 7:59 AM, coilinoc wrote:

        > President (Dear Mr. President?)

        Mr. / Madam President (Dear President [last name])

        > Secretary of State (Dear. Ms. Clinton?)

        Mr. / Madam Secretary (Dear Mr. / Madam Secretary)
        I think it would also be proper to write "Dear Secretary [last name]"

        > Admiral (Dear Admiral + surname?)

        Dear Admiral (Dear Admiral [last name])

        > Ambassador (Your Excellency?)

        Mr. / Madam Ambassador (Dear Mr. / Madam Ambassador)

        JK

      • Liz Spacilova
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2010
          Hi,

          One other thing that we do differently - we use a colon at the end of the salutation -- Dear Mr. President:

          Otherwise, excellent resource here - http://www.ita.doc.gov/ita_sec/Address%20and%20Salutation.htm

          - Liz

          > On Apr 3, 2010, at 7:59 AM, coilinoc wrote:
          >
          > > President (Dear Mr. President?)
          >
          > Mr. / Madam President (Dear President [last name])
          >
          > > Secretary of State (Dear. Ms. Clinton?)
          >
          > Mr. / Madam Secretary (Dear Mr. / Madam Secretary)
          > I think it would also be proper to write "Dear Secretary [last name]"
          >
          > > Admiral (Dear Admiral + surname?)
          >
          > Dear Admiral (Dear Admiral [last name])
          >
          > > Ambassador (Your Excellency?)
          >
          > Mr. / Madam Ambassador (Dear Mr. / Madam Ambassador)
          >
          > JK

        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2010
            Thanks, Jamie