Re: [Czechlist] TERM

  • Valerie Talacko
    Message 1 of 293 , Apr 2, 2010
      I'm also a bit confused re. the reference to price-fixing, but if the
      context is the way the company expresses itself then you could say "we
      use more Brusselese than Brussels" (in this case Brusselese would be the
      right word).

      I thought at first you meant the over-enthusiastic implementation of EU
      regulations - the practice often referred to as gold-plating - but
      that's used more of governments rather than companies, e.g. when the UK
      implements EU regulations it throws a lot of its own into the law at the
      same time and makes the EU regs a lot stricter than they need be.

      On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 05:11 -0400, James Kirchner wrote:

      > Wait a minute. Do you mean "fixing the prices" as in "price fixing",
      > i.e., forming a cartel, or do you mean simplifying and clarifying the
      > price structure? Don't use the word "fixing" unless you mean the
      > illegal practice of coordinating prices in a cartel.
      >
      > If it means the prices are too complicated, we might say, "We're more
      > kafkaesque than Kafka," although that wouldn't necessarily mean just
      > complicated and bureaucratic.
      >
      > Maybe you could say:
      > "We've got a price structure only an EU apparatchik would love."
      > "Our pricing is as clear as mud."
      > "Our pricing is a can of worms."
      >
      > I think the third one, about the worms, comes closest to the meaning
      > you want.
      >
      > I'll try to think of some other things.
      >
      > Jamie
      >
      > On Apr 2, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Karel Navrátil wrote:
      >
      > > The context are some ideas for improvements concerning e.g. company
      > approach
      > > to customers, such as comprehensible communication with the
      > customers,
      > > customers hardly understand us, we are too complicated (e.g. fixing
      > the
      > > prices - jsme Bruselstejsí nez Brusel)
      > > Karel

    • "Karel Navrátil"
      Message 293 of 293 , Apr 30, 2015
        Děkuji Šárce i Martinovi.
        Karel

        Dne 30.04.15, "Martin Janda martinjanda@... [Czechlist]" <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com> napsal:

        Nebo, v mirne obmene, /facilities of public interest/

        Martin