Cz>Eng sterilni pole

  • Charlie Stanford
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      I am a bit puzzled by something in a medical text I am doing which does not make sense to my mind. I think it is probably a backtranslation and they put this

      Toto riziko lze minimalizovat dodr�ov�n�m z�sad sterility a v p��pad� pot�eby pod�n�m antibiotik. Znamen� to, �e l�ka�i odkl�daj� n�stroje do steriln�ho pole a pracuj� tak, aby nezanesli do r�ny infekci.

      I cannot work out why the doctors would put their nastroje in a "sterilniho pole" (I imagine that to be the area around or on the patient that is supposed to be kept sterile...). Wouldn't they put them "na sterilni tacek"

      Thank you for anything,

      Charlie

      --
      Jsem chr�n�n bezplatn�m SPAMfighter pro soukrom� u�ivatele.
      A� doposud m� u�et�il p��jmu 8277 spam-email�.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hi Charlie,

        not a medical expert, but this is a language thing:

        The sterilni pole is a measure and part of the zasady sterility.... it
        means they have a sterile area where they put their tools down and from
        where they pick them up, it's usually just a stainless tray/drawer with
        one of those sterilised green sheets on it..

        Sterilni pole is a fancy term for what I described... I wouldn't say
        "sterile tray" because it could be something bigger/else, sterile area
        should do in this case..

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
          Hi Charlie,

          "Sterile field" seems to be quite common in English (over 67k Google
          hits) and sterilni pole is used in Czech too. Probably because "sterilni
          tacek" does not sound that 'right'. Or perhaps "sterilni pole/sterile
          field' might have much broader meaning than just sterilni tacek - it can
          include any sterily spot around the wound.

          Or else, perhaps because Czech MDs are desperately uninventive when it
          comes to adapting English words for Czech daily use. FWIW, I was
          astonished to see a literal and ugly translation of 'physical
          examination', fyzikalni vysetreni, to be widely used in a number of
          medical contexts, including titles of medical books.

          HTH
          Martin

          Dne 1.4.2010 9:45, Charlie Stanford napsal(a):
          > I am a bit puzzled by something in a medical text I am doing which does not make sense to my mind. I think it is probably a backtranslation and they put this
          >
          > Toto riziko lze minimalizovat dodržováním zásad sterility a v případě potřeby podáním antibiotik. Znamená to, že lékaři odkládají nástroje do sterilního pole a pracují tak, aby nezanesli do rány infekci.
          >

          > I cannot work out why the doctors would put their nastroje in a "sterilniho pole" (I imagine that to be the area around or on the patient that is supposed to be kept sterile...). Wouldn't they put them "na sterilni tacek"
          >

          > Thank you for anything,
          >
          > Charlie

        • Jaroslav Hejzlar
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
            Hi, Charlie!
            I think that the term "sterilni pole" need not necessarily mean only the
            area on the patient. In my opinion, it is a more general term, which, of
            course, can include "sterilni tacek" or anything else (e.g. just a sterile
            surface of the operation table or any other suitable area).
            Regards,
            Jarda

            I am a bit puzzled by something in a medical text I am doing which does not
            make sense to my mind. I think it is probably a backtranslation and they put
            this

            Toto riziko lze minimalizovat dodrľováním zásad sterility a v případě
            potřeby podáním antibiotik. Znamená to, ľe lékaři odkládají nástroje do
            sterilního pole a pracují tak, aby nezanesli do rány infekci.

            I cannot work out why the doctors would put their nastroje in a "sterilniho
            pole" (I imagine that to be the area around or on the patient that is
            supposed to be kept sterile...). Wouldn't they put them "na sterilni tacek"

            Thank you for anything,

            Charlie

            --
            Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uľivatele.
            Aľ doposud mě uąetřil příjmu 8277 spam-emailů.

          • Charlie Stanford
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
              Thank you Martin and Jarda. I don't get it I am afraid - if the sterilni
              pole is a sterily spot around the wound or jus a sterile area in the
              operating theatre, what are the doctors doing when they odkládají nástroje
              into it? Would they not have something a bit more specially designed for
              putting your scalpel down on?

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
                > if the sterilni pole is a sterily spot around the wound or jus a sterile
                area in the operating theatre, what are the doctors doing when they
                odkládají nástroje into it?

                I'm a complete layman but from what I see on the web I'd say "sterilni pole"
                the latter possibility whereas the former is referred to as "operacni
                pole"...

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
                  It's definitely an area in the op theatre, or in any ordinace.. not on
                  the patient.. and the pole bit is a generic term to avoid narrowing it
                  down to a tray or whatever, as it may be a special
                  depository/steriliser or anything else that's sterile, as someone
                  pointed out.. see my earlier post too

                  >Thank you Martin and Jarda. I don't get it I am afraid - if the
                  >sterilni
                  >pole is a sterily spot around the wound or jus a sterile area in the
                  >operating theatre, what are the doctors doing when they odkládají
                  >nástroje
                  >into it? Would they not have something a bit more specially designed
                  >for
                  >putting your scalpel down on?

                • Charlie Stanford
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
                    Thank you to everyone about sterilni pole - Jarda, Jirka, Martin and Matej. I put a message to the agency saying that the translator had made a boo-boo and now I have had to send them another one admitting that it was me who got it wrong. And Matej sorry to you because you explained it in your first post but for some reason I did not notice that email before and have only just read it.
                    Charlie

                    >Thank you Martin and Jarda. I don't get it I am afraid - if the
                    >sterilni
                    >pole is a sterily spot around the wound or jus a sterile area in the
                    >operating theatre, what are the doctors doing when they odkládají
                    >nástroje
                    >into it? Would they not have something a bit more specially designed
                    >for
                    >putting your scalpel down on?

                    Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
                    Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 8277 spam-emailů.
                    Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
                    Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs