Re: [Czechlist] TERM: byt jako nebe a dudy

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      Hi Simon,

      found a few ideas here:

      http://www.slovodne.cz/slovodne/nebe-a-dudy/

      alth' none of them sound very scientific or definite..

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
        Thanks, Melvyn, that's very interesting.

        It's one of my favourite expressions in Czech. It sounds surreally poetic to me. What I really want to know is what connects this very odd couple of opposites. Am I missing something obvious? And does "nebe" refer to the sky or to heaven? The entry in Fronek suggests the former.

        Simon

        > Bozena Nemcova wrote "Kacenka a Rozarka, to jest nebe a dudy. Zadne prirovnani" in Pomnenka slechetne duse - Rozarka:
        >
        > http://www.mlp.cz/koweb/00/02/81/10/69/povidky_1.txt
        >
        > Don't know if that is the origin of the expression, but the fact that she feels she has to explain it to her readers suggests to me that they will not have been too familiar with it at the time (during the 1850s).
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.
        >

        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Simon" <vollams@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone know the origin of the above Czech idiom?
        > >
        > > Simon

      • Simon
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
          Thanks Matej. Seems I'm not the only one in the dark. IMO "heaven and bagpipes" deserves a place in the English language.

          Simon