TERM: byt jako nebe a dudy

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      Does anyone know the origin of the above Czech idiom?

      Simon
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
        Hi Simon,

        found a few ideas here:

        http://www.slovodne.cz/slovodne/nebe-a-dudy/

        alth' none of them sound very scientific or definite..

        > Does anyone know the origin of the above Czech idiom?
        >
        >Simon

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
          Bozena Nemcova wrote "Kacenka a Rozarka, to jest nebe a dudy. Zadne prirovnani" in Pomnenka slechetne duse - Rozarka:

          http://www.mlp.cz/koweb/00/02/81/10/69/povidky_1.txt

          Don't know if that is the origin of the expression, but the fact that she feels she has to explain it to her readers suggests to me that they will not have been too familiar with it at the time (during the 1850s).

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Simon" <vollams@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know the origin of the above Czech idiom?
          >
          > Simon

        • Simon
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 12:34 AM
            Thanks, Melvyn, that's very interesting.

            It's one of my favourite expressions in Czech. It sounds surreally poetic to me. What I really want to know is what connects this very odd couple of opposites. Am I missing something obvious? And does "nebe" refer to the sky or to heaven? The entry in Fronek suggests the former.

            Simon

            > Bozena Nemcova wrote "Kacenka a Rozarka, to jest nebe a dudy. Zadne prirovnani" in Pomnenka slechetne duse - Rozarka:
            >
            > http://www.mlp.cz/koweb/00/02/81/10/69/povidky_1.txt
            >
            > Don't know if that is the origin of the expression, but the fact that she feels she has to explain it to her readers suggests to me that they will not have been too familiar with it at the time (during the 1850s).
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.
            >

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Simon" <vollams@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know the origin of the above Czech idiom?
            > >
            > > Simon

          • Simon
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1 2:03 AM
              Thanks Matej. Seems I'm not the only one in the dark. IMO "heaven and bagpipes" deserves a place in the English language.

              Simon