Literarni preklad

  • janagarnsworthy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2010
      Dobry vecer,

      Dokazal by mi nekdo poradit, kde zjistit, zda již existuje cesky preklad te ci one knihy. Existuje pro to nejaka databaze nebo neco takoveho?

      Mockrat dekuji.

      Jana
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
        To je dobra otazka - jednou jsem se nadchnul pro nejakou americkou beletrii vyslou v nemcine tak, ze jsem ji zacal prekladat. A kdyz jsem mel hotovych nekolik kapitol, uplne nahodou jsem se dozvedel, ze uz to cesky vyslo ... nemel jsem radost.
        Honza

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
          V Narodni knihovne by teoreticky mely byt vsechny knihy, ktere u nas vysly.
          A v jejim katalogu (http://sigma.nkp.cz/F) jsou vsechny knihy, ktere ve
          fondu ma.

          D.

          Daniel Sebesta

          Chief Linguist | DS Translations | Prague, Czech Republic

          Corresponding Member of ATA, Member of JTP, MLA and ILA

          <http://www.dstranslations.eu> www.dstranslations.eu |
          <http://www.proz.com/profile/602984> www.proz.com/profile/602984

          <mailto:daniel.sebesta@...> daniel.sebesta@...
          (e-mail) | dstranslations.eu (Skype)

          _____

          Od: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] za
          u�ivatele janagarnsworthy
          Odesl�no: 25. b�ezna 2010 0:31
          Komu: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
          P�edm�t: [Czechlist] Literarni preklad

          Dobry vecer,

          Dokazal by mi nekdo poradit, kde zjistit, zda ji� existuje cesky preklad te

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
            On the other hand, there's been a big trend toward producing new English translations of classic novels, especially the Russian ones. Many of the novels were poorly or inaccurately translated, or they were in such archaic language that ordinary people had trouble understanding them. Often, in the Russian novels, it was hard to understand even the basic events of the novel, because they were so poorly done. In the Kafka novels there are funny parts that English speakers completely missed because of the tone of the old translations.

            Then, of course, there's the man who has published many volumes of "translations" of the works of Jaroslav Seifert, but does not understand Czech. I mean he REALLY doesn't understand Czech! He just tries to translate them word by word with a dictionary, like a beginner, but reputable publishers have been swindled into printing this work, and it's gotten into major libraries. Seifert's family asked him numerous times to stop, but the guy was oblivious to the damage he was doing. In a case like that, a new translation is called for.

            Jamie

            On Mar 25, 2010, at 5:51 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

            > To je dobra otazka - jednou jsem se nadchnul pro nejakou americkou beletrii vyslou v nemcine tak, ze jsem ji zacal prekladat. A kdyz jsem mel hotovych nekolik kapitol, uplne nahodou jsem se dozvedel, ze uz to cesky vyslo ... nemel jsem radost.
            > Honza

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
              The key thing here is not as much whether a Czech translation already exists as the issue of copyright. If a Czech translation already exists, the holder of copyright relating to the book in the original language must have granted copyright to the relevant Czech publisher allowing him to publish the Czech edition, but only for a limited period of time. If this period has expired and no one else has bought the Czech rights in the meantime, then the copyright for Czech edition is available i.e. the book can again be translated into Czech and published.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
                There's also the fact that sometimes the author or publisher isn't satisfied with the translation they granted the rights for and can do some legal wrangling to make it possible to grant someone the right to a retranslation.

                JK

                On Mar 25, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                > The key thing here is not as much whether a Czech translation already exists as the issue of copyright. If a Czech translation already exists, the holder of copyright relating to the book in the original language must have granted copyright to the relevant Czech publisher allowing him to publish the Czech edition, but only for a limited period of time. If this period has expired and no one else has bought the Czech rights in the meantime, then the copyright for Czech edition is available i.e. the book can again be translated into Czech and published.

              • janagarnsworthy
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
                  Hi everyone,

                  Thanks a lot for all your contributions. The copyright issue is the thing I'll have to look into then, it would seem. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

                  Jana

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

                  > The key thing here is not as much whether a Czech translation already exists as the issue of copyright. If a Czech translation already exists, the holder of copyright relating to the book in the original language must have granted copyright to the relevant Czech publisher allowing him to publish the Czech edition, but only for a limited period of time. If this period has expired and no one else has bought the Czech rights in the meantime, then the copyright for Czech edition is available i.e. the book can again be translated into Czech and published.

                • Sarka Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
                    Hi Jamie,
                    I do not understand what your message has to do with the original question?
                    Besides you have already made similar statement on this list.

                    Sarka