Re: [Czechlist] dotaz ces-eng civka (pro zapalovani motoru)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
      (ignition) coil

      ------ Original Message ------
      From: "Mgr. Helena Šubrtová" <HSubrtova@...>
      To: czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: 10.3.2010 11:18:19
      Subject: [Czechlist] dotaz ces-eng civka (pro zapalovani motoru)
      > Dobry den,
      >Mam dotaz ohledne vyrazu:
      >civka (je u zapalovani motoru).
      >
      >Dekuji.
      >
      >Helena

    • Charlie Stanford
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
        I think it is the "spark coil" (or ignition coil) Helena

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
          I vote for "ignition coil". It's much more common in my universe than "spark coil" (which I'm pretty sure I have never heard).

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
            Wikipedia - An ignition coil (also called a spark coil) and 42,000 Google hits later....

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
              Compared to 1,170,000 hits for "ignition coil".

              I didn't question the existence of the term "spark coil"; I just questioned whether it was common enough to be the best choice. The comparative numbers show it's not.

              I can find more than 78,000 Google hits for the term "party store" related to my city alone. However, when I'm translating I can't use it, because people outside my state don't understand it. I have to use the term "liquor store", even though it's not "natural" to me.

              Jamie