Rise - increase

  • Pavel Trusina
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 4 12:45 PM
      I would like to ask native speakers which is better:

      "The power of media is rising"

      or

      "The power of media is increasing"?

      Thanks.

      P.

      __________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 4916 (20100304) __________

      Tuto zpravu proveril ESET Smart Security.

      http://www.eset.cz

    • Stanislav Zizka
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4 1:22 PM
        I am not a native speaker but I would not exclude "The power of media is on the rise" e.g. for a headline, etc
        S.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4 1:44 PM
          To my native ears, Stanislav's recommendation is the best of the three.

          You could also say, "Media power is on the rise", or "Media's power is on the rise".

          I know many Czechs forget all about the possessive case in English, but it's useful and natural-sounding in cases where an "of" construction is not.

          Jamie

          On Mar 4, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:

          > I am not a native speaker but I would not exclude "The power of media is on the rise" e.g. for a headline, etc
          > S.

        • Valerie Talacko
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 4 11:38 PM
            I prefer "The power of the media is increasing" in this case. "On the
            rise" (and to some extent "rising") sounds more as if something has only
            just started rising, whereas in the case of the media it's not a new
            phenomenon.

            If I was going for an "of" construction (which I probably would here -
            no reason to avoid it) I'd say "the power of THE media."

            Valerie

            On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 16:44 -0500, James Kirchner wrote:
            > To my native ears, Stanislav's recommendation is the best of the three.
            >
            > You could also say, "Media power is on the rise", or "Media's power is on the rise".
            >
            > I know many Czechs forget all about the possessive case in English, but it's useful and natural-sounding in cases where an "of" construction is not.
            >
            > Jamie
            >
            > On Mar 4, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:
            >
            > > I am not a native speaker but I would not exclude "The power of media is on the rise" e.g. for a headline, etc
            > > S.

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5 12:44 AM
              Probably go for "increasing" or "on the rise" here. No strong preference.

              I would tend to use the form with the apostrophe in more "workaday" texts, or to avoid long strings of of of of...or for reasons of euphony or whatever...sometimes it's just a toss-up.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5 2:29 AM
                Valerie, you're forgetting that this is a headline, and articles are routinely left out of headlines in English.

                Jamie

                On Mar 5, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:

                > I prefer "The power of the media is increasing" in this case. "On the
                > rise" (and to some extent "rising") sounds more as if something has only
                > just started rising, whereas in the case of the media it's not a new
                > phenomenon.
                >
                > If I was going for an "of" construction (which I probably would here -
                > no reason to avoid it) I'd say "the power of THE media."
                >
                > Valerie
                >
                > On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 16:44 -0500, James Kirchner wrote:
                > > To my native ears, Stanislav's recommendation is the best of the three.
                > >
                > > You could also say, "Media power is on the rise", or "Media's power is on the rise".
                > >
                > > I know many Czechs forget all about the possessive case in English, but it's useful and natural-sounding in cases where an "of" construction is not.
                > >
                > > Jamie
                > >
                > > On Mar 4, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Stanislav Zizka wrote:
                > >
                > > > I am not a native speaker but I would not exclude "The power of media is on the rise" e.g. for a headline, etc
                > > > S.

              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5 3:47 AM
                  Am I missing something? Where does Pavel say it is a headline?

                  Stanislav mentions headlines, but surely just by way of example...

                  Fussbudgeting M.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5 4:08 AM
                    I believe he mentioned it in his original post, which I've deleted by now.

                    JK

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5 4:33 AM
                      If it's a headline I'd leave out the article before both power and
                      media, though (or say "Media power"). It was just the original "The
                      power of media" that I was correcting.

                      Valerie

                      On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 05:29 -0500, James Kirchner wrote:
                      > Valerie, you're forgetting that this is a headline, and articles are routinely left out of headlines in English.
                      >
                      > Jamie
                      >
                      > On Mar 5, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:
                      >
                      > > I prefer "The power of the media is increasing" in this case. "On the
                      > > rise" (and to some extent "rising") sounds more as if something has only
                      > > just started rising, whereas in the case of the media it's not a new
                      > > phenomenon.
                      > >
                      > > If I was going for an "of" construction (which I probably would here -
                      > > no reason to avoid it) I'd say "the power of THE media."
                      > >
                      > > Valerie
                      > >
                      > > On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 16:44 -0500, James Kirchner wrote:
                      > > > To my native ears, Stanislav's recommendation is the best of the three.
                      > > >
                      > > > You could also say, "Media power is on the rise", or "Media's power is on the rise".
                      > > >
                      > > > I know many Czechs forget all about the possessive case in English, but it's useful and natural-sounding in cases where an "of" construction is not.
                      > > >
                      > > > Jamie

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5 12:07 PM
                        You can always find old Czechlist mail in the Czechlist archives.

                        Pavel's original post:

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5 12:22 PM
                          Thanks all for their help!
                          P.

                          __________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 4917 (20100305) __________

                          Tuto zpravu proveril ESET Smart Security.

                          http://www.eset.cz

                          __________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 4917 (20100305) __________

                          Tuto zpravu proveril ESET Smart Security.

                          http://www.eset.cz

                        • Vladimir Lopata
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 17 10:19 AM
                            Dobry podvecer.
                            nevite jak se rekne anglicky "soudoby vykon" ?

                            Lopata

                          • zora.jackman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 18 4:37 AM
                              Parallel output? V jakem je to kontextu?
                              ZORA

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 18 4:48 AM
                                It could also be simultaneous output, I think. But context is everything.

                                Jamie

                                On Mar 18, 2010, at 7:37 AM, zora.jackman wrote:

                                > Parallel output? V jakem je to kontextu?
                                > ZORA
                                >
                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Lopata" <lopa@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Dobry podvecer.
                                > > nevite jak se rekne anglicky "soudoby vykon" ?
                                > >
                                > > Lopata

                              • Jaroslav
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 18 10:34 AM
                                  Soudoby vykon, ale ceho?
                                  Nejakeho zarizeni, motoru, lidi?
                                  simultaneous (synchronous) performance?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 18 11:22 AM
                                    Podle me se tento vyraz pouziva pouze v kontextu dimenzovani privodu
                                    elektricke energie. Ackoliv slovo "soudoby" mi pripada nevhodne a "vykon" je
                                    spise "prikon", v anglictine by slo mozna neco jako 'present (input) power
                                    (rating)' nebo 'present power demand' nebo tak neco. Chtelo by to vsak nazor
                                    rodileho mluvciho...

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 18 11:51 AM
                                      Ja teda elektrice rozumim jak koza petrzeli, jak rikala babicka, ale
                                      nebude to 'soudoby' o tom, ze se zapina nebo bezi vice spotrebicu
                                      najednou, respektive kolik najednou jich muze bezet aby to nespadlo??

                                      Napred bych si overil co to vlastne je a pak hledal ekvivalent v ENG

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 18 12:31 PM
                                        Z meho pohledu je "soudoby" nesmysl tak nebo onak. Pokud by to melo znamenat
                                        "soubezny" cili "celkovy maximalni", tak co treba "concurrent power
                                        (demand)"? Nicmene bych cekal, ze k tomu nejake podrobnosti uvede Vlada,
                                        ktery se na to ptal a ze odpoved poskytne nebo zhodnoti nejaky rodily mluvci
                                        ciloveho jazyka. Zda se vsak, ze Vlada se uz nepidi a ze rodily mluvci
                                        anglictiny pres elektriku schazi...

                                      • Vladimir Lopata
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 18 12:55 PM
                                          Nenapovim nic, prekladam technicke zarizeni a ve vyctu parametru je uvedeny
                                          "soudoby vykon".
                                          Na googlu jsem nasel 60 000 vyskytu ale definici jsem nenasel.
                                          Asi tam skutecne dam "concurrent" ktere mne take napadlo.

                                          Anyway, thanks.

                                          Vlad.

                                          _____

                                          __________ Informace od ESET Smart Security, verze databaze 4956 (20100318)