RE: [Czechlist] fun. poz.

  • Daniel Šebesta
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Jamie,

      It stands for “funkcnich pozitku” (without diacritics). But don’t ask me at this hour what that actually means. :-)

      HTH,

      Daniel

      Daniel Sebesta

      Chief Linguist | DS Translations | Prague, Czech Republic

      Corresponding Member of ATA, Member of JTP and MLA

      <http://www.dstranslations.eu> www.dstranslations.eu | <http://www.proz.com/profile/602984> www.proz.com/profile/602984

      <mailto:daniel.sebesta@...> daniel.sebesta@... (e-mail) | daniel_sebesta (Skype)

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010
        Thanks, Matej.

        In a US context, the second one must be "withholding tax".

        Jamie

        On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:02 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:

        > That's "financni pozitky" - whatever income you may have had.. in any shape or form, incl. company cars etc..
        >
        > Not sure about the second one (srazka dle zvlastnich predpisu/sazebniku), but I think it's income tax that's taken off a working person's salary by the employer and sent to the tax bastards... usually as part of some sort of short-time set-up such as contract work.. Google on..
        >
        > As for the third one, it seems to be a would be creative take on "odlozena danova povinnost", which tends to be 'deferred tax' in standard forms

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010
          Mateji, nejsou to “funkcni pozitky” ??

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010
            No, it is actually "funkcni pozitky", and it is whatever you receive if
            you hold a "funkce" ("high office" perhaps in EN) - e.g. if you are a
            MP, senator, head of a government agency, or even the chairperson of the
            local "sdruzeni zahradkaru" or another civil association...

            See here:
            http://www.sagit.cz/pages/lexikonheslatxt.asp?cd=74&typ=r&levelid=da_159.htm

            Josef

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2010
              Perhaps "fringe benefits" might be of a use in translating "funkcni
              pozitky"...

            • Stanislav Zizka
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                Isn't this what in the UK is basically referred to as "perks"? Though not sure if this is suitable for an official translation. More official are just "benefits".
                S.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                  "Perks" a "frindge benefits" jsou vicemene to same, ale "perks" je
                  neformalni vyraz: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_benefit>
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_benefit

                • Josef Hlavac
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                    I strongly doubt that it is "benefits" or "perks".

                    My understanding of "benefits" is company-paid health/life/whatever
                    insurance in excess of the statutory requirements, company car for
                    private use, company laptop & cell phone, an employee stock ownership
                    plan, and so on. These would be "nepenezni plneni" or something like
                    that (I'm not sure of the term from the top of my head).

                    "Funkcni pozitky" is something totally different - for instance,
                    salaries of senators, members of the Parliament, etc.

                    Josef

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                      > I strongly doubt that it is "benefits" or "perks".

                      I guess, you're right. "Funkcni pozitky" are monetary "benefits". Maybe a
                      "compensation package", then...

                    • Daniel Šebesta
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                        Mm, interesting, my messages needed about 8 hours to get here…

                        Daniel

                        _____

                        <http://www.dstransl <http://www.dstranslations.eu> ations.eu> www.dstranslations.eu | <http://www.proz <http://www.proz.com/profile/602984> com/profile/602984> www.proz.com/profile/602984

                        "Daň z příjmů fyz. osob ze závislé čin. a fun. pož."

                        Can anyone please tell me what "fun. poz." means?

                        Thanks very much.

                      • Alena Ryšková 2e
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                          I sent a message yesterday around noon and am still waiting :-)
                          Alena

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                            "fringes" is probably not entirely correct. Apart from certain benefits provided by the employer to the employees (such as meal vouchers or payments to the pension fund), fringes most importantly include also mandatory payments paid by the employer to the state (not to the employees), such as employee social insurance and health insurance

                            Re "Compensation package" - this is more of an HR term rather than an accounting term, used mostly in advertising of vacant positions etc. It does comprise benefits, but also the salary, i.e. does not seem to correspond to funkcni pozitky either

                            In summary, "benefits" is the closest that I can think of (not limited to "monetary" benefits, though)

                            Jiri