TERM: V promenach doby

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2010
      This is a phrase that crops up quite a lot in the titles of books, essays, treatises, monographs and you name it. I have a typical example from a collection of papers in front of me:

      Spisovatele, spolecnost a noviny v promenach doby

      Sometimes I use "down/through the ages", but I'm looking for other ideas here. Any inspiration?

    • Charlie Stanford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2010
        Difficult one Melvyn. I was thinking of "The changing face of..." but it does not really work with spisovatele... (or people would think you were looking at the fall in the number of moustaches/growth in nose size or something). Could you use "An historical anthology/compendium of..."? Does not really get over any sense of development I suppose - unless you tack "from 942 to the present day" onto the end. Bit convoluted. Anyway just to throw something out there....

        This is a phrase that crops up quite a lot in the titles of books, essays, treatises, monographs and you name it. I have a typical example from a collection of papers in front of me:

        Spisovatele, spolecnost a noviny v promenach doby

        Sometimes I use "down/through the ages", but I'm looking for other ideas here. Any inspiration?

        Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
        Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 8272 spam-emailů.
        Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
        Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2010
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Stanford" <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

          > Difficult one Melvyn. I was thinking of "The changing face of..."

          Yes, an interesting thought to keep for hairless contexts. "In changing times" might work sometimes too...