Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Latest gem from Czech-English dictionary compilers

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2010
      On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:57:18 +0100
      Gerald Turner <turner.gerald@...> wrote:
      > By courtesy of O*dborné překladové slovníky Millennium: podílet* -
      > go snucks ... go shares ... - was last common in the American
      > vernacular in the nineteenth century. What say you, Jamie?

      I'm not Jamie, but I have no reason to dispute the general time frame.
      One problem with those dictionaries (fwiw, a Polish online dictionary
      seems to have picked it up, too) is that the translation is fine one
      direction: a Czech who was puzzled by "go snucks" in an 1890 text
      might find the E>C translation handy. But nobody (well, outside of a
      Czech trying to fake an 1890 text in order to sell it as an epistolary
      antique -- probably not a very large group) would ever need to go from
      "podilet" to "go snucks." The bottom line problem is that programmers
      tend to think that if a=b, then b=a, and forget that it's not an
      "equals," it's a pointer that has a direction.