Re: Unclear sentence

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hi Rad,

      It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. First he says something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might not exist. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

      Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a wide spectrum of personal and social situations.

      Any clearer?

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@...> wrote:

      > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following sentence?
      > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded that
      > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning difficulties,
      > but with regard to personality disorder...
      >
      > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
      > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
      > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
      > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
      > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
      > situations."
      >
      > I just can't get my head around it.
      >
      > TIA

    • zora.jackman
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 28, 2010

        >First he says something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might not exist.

        I think the confusion may possibly be caused by the term "present" - in this case it could mean that the pattern may or may not always show, a bit like symptoms of an illness: they may or may not be present.
        ZORA

        It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

        > Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a wide spectrum of personal and social situations.
        >
        > Any clearer?
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.
        >

        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" <grabanrad@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following sentence?
        > > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded that
        > > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning difficulties,
        > > but with regard to personality disorder...
        > >
        > > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
        > > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
        > > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
        > > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
        > > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
        > > situations."
        > >
        > > I just can't get my head around it.
        > >
        > > TIA

      • grabanrad
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 29, 2010
          Thanks Melvyn and Zora (off the list),

          Yes, it does make more sense now, but I still think the author is crap
          writer. [:)]

          Rad

          > Hi Rad,
          >
          > It sounds to me like impromptu (dictated?) speech rather than a
          carefully thought-out sentence from an authoritative text. First he says
          something might not exist and then he goes into detail over what might
          not exist. Bane of our job - an original that already sounds like a bad
          translation. I would loosely rephrase it this way:

          > Dr X concluded that the question of a personality order would require
          further investigation, but he advised professionals to pay particular
          attention to Ms Y's moods and emotional expressions because of a
          possible abnormal behavioural pattern that is pervasive (i.e. that
          pervades her behaviour/personality etc) and is not well adapted to a
          wide spectrum of personal and social situations.

          > Any clearer?
          >
          > BR
          >
          > M.
          >

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "grabanrad" grabanrad@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Could anybody help me to make the sense out of the following
          sentence?
          > > It's refering to psychatric report where the psychiatrist concluded
          that
          > > Ms Y does not suffer from any mental disorder or learning
          difficulties,
          > > but with regard to personality disorder...
          > >
          > > "Dr X concluded that the matter of a personality order would require
          > > further investigation, but advised that professionals should pay
          > > particular attention to Ms Y's mood, emotional expression due to an
          > > abnormal pattern of behaviour which may or not be present that is
          > > pervasive and maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social
          > > situations."
          > >
          > > I just can't get my head around it.
          > >
          > > TIA

        • Hana Jarolímová
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
            Ahoj, jak mam prosim chapat tu druhou vetu? Jsou to polozky v kontrole
            provadene v autoservisu. Wreckers jsou ti, kdo vykradaji vraky, nebo ti,
            kdo odtahuji vraky? A co s tim ma spolecneho ta plastova folie????

            Diky moc vsem (a docela to specha, takze budu obzvlaste vdecna za rychle
            reakce)

            Hanka

            Are cars with broken windows stored behind fence, not accessible for the
            public, at night time? Do wreckers have access to plastic film at night
            time?
          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
              Ahoj, Hano!
              Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
              S pozdravem,
              Jarda

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                The wreckers are probably the guys who tow away the cars, as mentioned. Sometimes wrecker refers to the tow truck itself.

                Jarda's explanation of the plastic film is as good as any. It makes sense to me.

                Jamie

                On Oct 2, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                > Ahoj, Hano!
                > Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                > S pozdravem,
                > Jarda

              • Simon
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                  That seems the most likely explanation to me, too.

                  Simon

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <jaroslav.hejzlar@...> wrote:

                  > Ahoj, Hano!
                  > Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                  > S pozdravem,
                  > Jarda

                • Hana Jarolímová
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Asi jo, to dava smysl! Diky moc.

                    Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

                    >Ahoj, Hano!
                    >Já bych to chápal tak, že wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahové služby a dotaz zní, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastové fólii, (kterou použijí pravděpodobně k přelepení rozbitého skla).
                    >S pozdravem,
                    >Jarda

                  • Prekladatelsky servis
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                      podle mych slovniku je "wrecker" vyraz mimo jin� pro "odtahove vozidlo",
                      takze asi spis chlapci z odtahovky nez zlodeji. Ale vychazim pouze ze
                      slovniku, nikoli z prime vlastn� zkusenosti.

                      Iveta

                      _____

                      J� bych to ch�pal tak, �e wreckers jsou ti chapci z odtahov� slu�by a dotaz
                      zn�, jestli se mohou i v noci dostat k plastov� f�lii, (kterou pou�ij�
                      pravd�podobn� k p�elepen� rozbit�ho skla).
                      S pozdravem,
                      Jarda

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 2, 2011
                        jeste jednou diky vsem (kdo stejne jako ja v nedeli trci u pocitace...)
                      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                          Dear listmates!
                          I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                          The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                          That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                          Thanks a lot for any clues.
                          Best regards,
                          Jarda

                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                            Jarda, I can only agree with you that there is something odd about this sentence. Perhaps the author simply got confused. Happens all the time in the texts I deal with for my sins.

                            The only explanation that I can come up with is that "wear in" has the sense of rozslapnout nove boty (wear in) or zabehnout nove auto (run in) here. Just as one has to wear in new jeans, tyres and dentures, so perhaps you have to get your new tray to fit comfortably just before and after whitening. Just an idea. Not quite sure how it fits in with "brush-on".

                            BR

                            Melvyn

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                            > Dear listmates!
                            > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                            > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                            > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                            > Thanks a lot for any clues.
                            > Best regards,
                            > Jarda

                          • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                              Hello, Melvyn!
                              Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?
                              Jarda

                              --- In mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                              > Dear listmates!
                              > I am translating a text on teeth whitening. It is quite straightforward, but now I have come across a sentence that is completely unclear to me. It says: “Brush-on or wear in your trays four minutes prior to and after whitening your teeth.”
                              > The term “tray” refers to a special applicator that is filled with the bleaching gel and worn on your teeth for a prescribed period of time every day for about a fortnight.
                              > That is why the sentence above does not seem to make sense: how can you wear the tray four minutes BEFORE and AFTER whitening? Do they mean that you wear it empty, without the whitening gel? Or how do you understand it?
                              > Thanks a lot for any clues.
                              > Best regards,
                              > Jarda

                            • Melvyn
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 15, 2013
                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jaroslav Hejzlar" wrote:

                                > Hello, Melvyn!
                                > Thank you for your insight about the “wear in” part. Have you any idea what the “brush-on” part could mean (even without taking any context into consideration)?

                                I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste OR using the tray (which needs to be worn in over time) to apply the bleach to your teeth.

                                Gonna need welding goggles to look at yourself in the mirror.

                                BR

                                Melvyn
                              • (no author)
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 16, 2013
                                  Melvyn> I can only guess. Perhaps you have a choice between EITHER
                                  brushing the bleach on your teeth just as you might brush on toothpaste
                                  OR using the tray ...

                                  That would be my understanding.. , but I think the wear-in part could
                                  be an attempt at saying somethng like 'wear the gel on your teeth in
                                  the tray/using the tray' .. a bit clumsy, I know, but that's the only
                                  thing I can imagine..

                                  So yes, it's either brush the whitening gel on or put it in the tray
                                  and "wear" that... as for five minutes before and after *whitening*
                                  your teeth, I think they were meaning to say before and after
                                  *brushing* your teeth (with ordinary toothpaste) - that's usually the
                                  way these things are used, I understand..

                                  Matej