Re: [Czechlist] Re: RANT: Czech-English dictionary compilers

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
      Thanks for the details, Jamie. At first, I was inclined to think that it
      could have been cases of badly aligned TM or unedited fuzzy matches.

      However, now that you mention it, I recall a case of plagiarism I saw
      [=I had to fix] myself -- a translator was asked to translate a
      technical standard. For copyright and other reasons, we could not simply
      use an existing but copyrighted translation by a Czech standardization
      body. However, the guy simply grabbed the copyrighted translation of a
      different revision (!) of the standard, and tried to pass it off as his
      own work.

      Now, the saddest part is that due to the circumstances (the actual
      client & their internal processes), it is quite likely that he got away
      with it and instead of being dragged through the courts, he even got
      paid (perhaps with an insignificant, maybe 20%, "penalty").

      Josef