Re: [Czechlist] RANT: Czech-English dictionary compilers

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
      On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:00:56 +0000
      "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
      > Whilst, in general, many dictionaries deserve criticism, in this
      > particular case are we not making too much fuss about a mere typo?
      > Sounds like they meant to say "stratify"

      Of course, it wouldn't be one typo, but two: "t" for "f" _and_ the
      omitted "r." Moreover, I rather suspect the source is the big bugaboo
      of too many electronic dictionaries: plagiarism. At
      http://amapro.cz/wwww/cz_angl/v/vr.htm
      you will find the supposed verb "statity" _conjugated_ so as to have
      "he/she/it statitys" and "they statityd" in the past. That could be
      taken to suggest that one of the two sites "vacuumed" the other. In
      addition, Seznam already has "stratify" correctly spelled.
    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
        Thanks for the details, Jamie. At first, I was inclined to think that it
        could have been cases of badly aligned TM or unedited fuzzy matches.

        However, now that you mention it, I recall a case of plagiarism I saw
        [=I had to fix] myself -- a translator was asked to translate a
        technical standard. For copyright and other reasons, we could not simply
        use an existing but copyrighted translation by a Czech standardization
        body. However, the guy simply grabbed the copyrighted translation of a
        different revision (!) of the standard, and tried to pass it off as his
        own work.

        Now, the saddest part is that due to the circumstances (the actual
        client & their internal processes), it is quite likely that he got away
        with it and instead of being dragged through the courts, he even got
        paid (perhaps with an insignificant, maybe 20%, "penalty").

        Josef