My cemetery research projects...

  • Robert Chudek - K0RC
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2009
      I realize this is Off Topic for the group, but I know this is a strong resource for Czech 'stuff'. If anyone is willing to help me, we can take the discussion offline.

      One of my retirement activities is transcribing cemetery records and getting them posted online for other researchers. If you are interested, you can read about this, how I got started, and my current projects here: http://tinyurl.com/ye2vy6j

      During my visit to the Moravian region ten years ago, I catalogued and posted this cemetery in Kosariska: http://tinyurl.com/cdrqm2

      My question for the group is about another cemetery located in the town Navsi, along Route 11. Although I can't travel to photograph this one myself, I want to get a 'placeholder' created online as I pursue getting records from the Evangelical church in this town. Specifically, it is located at 49.5864 N 18.7622 E which is on the east side of town, about a block east of Nadrazni Street/Road.

      My first problem is to find the "official" name of this cemetery. In the USA it is usually spelled out on the signage at the gate. If someone had photographed the sign of this Navsi cemetery, then I would be all set. Searching online I cannot find any reference to this cemetery.

      Lacking this, what would I call it in Czech? "The cemetery in Navsi" or "Navsi cemetery"? I think the latter would be "Navsi Hrbitovy". It is associated with the Evangelical church, so that might be part of the "official" name as well.

      My second problem is to find a volunteer with a digital camera who would take a few photographs in order to get a ground level perspective of this cemetery. These pictures help establish credibility and reality of the location on the website.

      Google Earth is great, but doesn't provide this level of detail, at least in the remote areas. (Anyone who hasn't experienced "Street View" using Google Earth might be surprised how technology is making it possible to "drive" along a highway from your computer!)

      My apology to the group for the long-winded message. TIA for any help. I will take this offline if you reply direct to robert.chudek@...

      Robert Chudek
      www.czudek.com