Re: Medical dictionary

  • LizS
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Martin,

      Interestingly, on the Internet I also found another medical dictionary on CD by Jiri Vedral. Well, I'll buy this Lingea one and offer a little review in half a year.

      (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)

      Otherwise my "electronic medical dictionary" thus far has been google, entering the term and adding site:.europa.eu at the end -- SPCs in almost every language are on the Europa site and I often have luck. Medical jargon and acronyms are an entirely different matter, though.

      Cheers

      Liz

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        OK Liz, looking forward to your review, thanks!

        I've got several small Vedral's glossaries, including medical ones,
        perhaps it's the same stuff? (But the things I am looking for are
        typically not there either.)

        Martin

        LizS napsal(a):

        > Hi Martin,
        >
        > Interestingly, on the Internet I also found another medical dictionary
        > on CD by Jiri Vedral. Well, I'll buy this Lingea one and offer a little
        > review in half a year.
        >
        > (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where
        > I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)
        >
        > Otherwise my "electronic medical dictionary" thus far has been google,
        > entering the term and adding site:.europa.eu at the end -- SPCs in
        > almost every language are on the Europa site and I often have luck.
        > Medical jargon and acronyms are an entirely different matter, though.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Liz

        > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Liz or everyone,
        > >
        > > I have no idea about this one, but is there any PC-based medical
        > > dictionary worth using and the money, say compared to Millenium which is
        > > available online at volny.cz? (In my experience, whenever I need to look
        > > up a medical term in Millenium, either the Czech equivalent is not there
        > > at all or the relevant meaning is missing.)
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Martin
        > >

        > > LizS napsal(a):
        > > >

        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I just noticed that Lingea recently came out with a Cz/En medical
        > > > dictionary on CD ROM. Does anyone out there already have it? Is it an
        > > > improvement on the old Grada medical dictionary?
        > > >
        > > > Thx
        > > >
        > > > Liz

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "LizS" <spacils@...> wrote:

          > (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)

          Liz, if you say it is crap then that is good enough for me and I don't really want to know all the crappy details :-O, though we do actually have a Czechlist files section for that kind of thing:

          Or how about a Czechlist Facebook page? We could have reviews of other crappy dictionaries and a crappiest dictionary of the year award, not to mention fun trivia quizzes, a fun Czech idiom of the week and fun poetry translation competitions.

          Or let's just not bother.

          :-)

          Melvyn