Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Director + Members re Ltd

  • daniela.vranova
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hallo,

      in s.r.o. director is jednatel and members are spolecnici.

      daniela

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
        Presne tak,

        je sice otazka, kde se jeste drzet zvyklosti anglickych a kde uz zacit
        uplatnovat ceske, ale tady bych to neresil, director je podobna pozice jako
        v CZ jednatel a ltd je ekvivalent CZ sro.. members jsou jasni, clenove zadne
        rady to nejsou, jsou to podilnici ve firme..

        (Mozna pomuze dat tam nekam poznamku ze je pouzita terminologie CZ
        ekvivalentu nebo tak neco, ale myslim, ze to kazdy pochopi a navic ze zrovna
        tuhle cast - zpravu auditora - opravdu nikdo necte..)

        Matej Klimes

        Terminus Technicus
        M u l t i l a n g u a g e S o l u t i o n s

        Nový Zlíchov 3172/6
        150 00 Praha 5
        Nazyvame veci pravym jmenem / Saying it like it really is

        www.tertech.cz
        agentura@...
        Tel: (+420) 251 560 810

        GSM: (+420) 602 - 220 379

        in s.r.o. director is jednatel and members are spolecnici.

        daniela
        > Od: Stanislav Zizka <czechia007@...>
        > Předmět: [Czechlist] TERM: Director + Members re Ltd
        > Datum: 02.12.2009 09:29:41
        > Hello everybody
        >
        > I was wondering if anybody could help with the following....
        >
        > 1. I am sort of stuck, or let's say uncertain, how to translate a
        > "director" in
        > the auditor's report of a UK Limited company:
        > e.g. "The directors' responsibilities for the preparation of the financial
        > statements in accordance with applicable United Kingdom law and Accounting
        > Standards"
        > I know exactly who they are, worked for UK Ltd for three years, but don't
        > know
        > whether it's simply "reditel" or "clen .... rady"
        >
        > 2. The same goes for "members" as in "Independent auditors' report to the
        > members of XYZ Limited"
        > Wikipedia says are that "Private company limited by guarantee: This type
        > of
        > Company does not have share capital but is guaranteed by its "members",
        > who
        > agree to pay a fixed amount in the event of the company's liquidation." -
        > so
        > perhaps simply as "clenove".... or "clenove spravni rady / predstavenstva"
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas
        >
        > Stan

      • Charlie Stanford
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
          I think "clenove predstavenstva" for directors' (note that they are plural: directors' not director's) - if it is reditel then I think the business world would tend to use CEO or Director General or MD or something. I dont't think it includes the members of the supervisory board but may be wrong
          Don't know about members I am afraid

[...]

          Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
          Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 1553 spam-emailů.
          Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
          Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
            Oops.. I didn't pay attention to where the apostrophe was or read the sentence properly and was thinking about director as the message subject and the first reply suggested ..

            If it's directors and their responsibility, they should indeed be some sort of board as Charlie suggests and not a single person (reditel/jednatel)... trouble is that CZ sro's don't have boards, if there's more members (podilnici, spolecnici), the only thing that's agreed in Articles of Association is who represents the company and how do they sign (usually the jednatel, or two jednatels together, etc.)

            It will sound weird to talk about predstavenstvo in connection with a limited company, but if UK Ltd's do have a board of directors, then we can't just omit that... I would translate as is (predstavenstvo nebo mozna gumovejsi spravni rada??) plus add an explanatory note (Ve Spojenem kralovstvi maji Ltd. spolecnosti [priblizny ekvivalent nasich s.r.o.] s vice spolecniky statutarni organ podobny predstavenstvu akciovych spolecnosti)

            (Samozrejme az pote co bych si poradne overil ze to tak je, ted jen strilim)

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
              I still don't see why directors could not be jednatele and members spolecnici, however in czech sro the highest body is valna hromada that approves the final accounts and could have the same responsibilities you hinted. also, sro can (but usually does not) have a dozorci rada (and jednatele cannot participate in it).
              > Od: Matej Klimes <mklimes@...>
              > Předmět: Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Director + Members re Ltd
              > Datum: 02.12.2009 10:51:28
              > Oops.. I didn't pay attention to where the apostrophe was or read the sentence
              > properly and was thinking about director as the message subject and the first
              > reply suggested ..
              >
              > If it's directors and their responsibility, they should indeed be some sort of
              > board as Charlie suggests and not a single person (reditel/jednatel)... trouble
              > is that CZ sro's don't have boards, if there's more members (podilnici,
              > spolecnici), the only thing that's agreed in Articles of Association is who
              > represents the company and how do they sign (usually the jednatel, or two
              > jednatels together, etc.)
              >
              > It will sound weird to talk about predstavenstvo in connection with a limited
              > company, but if UK Ltd's do have a board of directors, then we can't just omit
              > that... I would translate as is (predstavenstvo nebo mozna gumovejsi spravni
              > rada??) plus add an explanatory note (Ve Spojenem kralovstvi maji Ltd.
              > spolecnosti [priblizny ekvivalent nasich s.r.o.] s vice spolecniky statutarni
              > organ podobny predstavenstvu akciovych spolecnosti)
              >
              > (Samozrejme az pote co bych si poradne overil ze to tak je, ted jen strilim)

            • Stanislav Zizka
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                e.g. the actual UK's Companies Act 1985
                (http://www.uk-companies-act-1985.co.uk/s-32) says:
                226.-(1) The directors of every company shall prepare for each financial
                year of the company-
                (a) a balance sheet as at the last day of the year, and
                (b) a profit and loss account.

                And then " A company's annual accounts shall be approved by the board of
                directors and signed on behalf of the board by a director of the company." -
                so it sounds like 'clen predstavenstva/valne hromady'

                BTW, these directors can hold shares in the company.......

                Stan

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                  the function of 'valna hromada' is indeed:
                  - schvalování řádné, mimořádné a konsolidované a v případech stanovených
                  zákonem i mezitímní účetní závěrky,'

                  so i'd go for a 'member' - 'clen valne hromady' as they approve the
                  financial statements and the audit is prepared for the attention of a
                  'member'... and they refer to 'members' as a body (To the fullest extent
                  permitted by law, we do not accept or assume responsibility to anyone other
                  than the company and the company's members as a body, for our audit work,
                  for this report, or for the opinions we have formed.)

                  still unsure about a 'director' - jednatel or spolecnik ... directors
                  actually prepare the financial statements...

                  just to add a spin - i always thought that 'board of directors' is purely
                  supervisory... therefore an equivalent to 'dozorci rada'?

                  S.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                    dozorci rada is supervisory board I think Stando

                    > the function of 'valna hromada' is indeed:
                    > - schvalování řádné, mimořádné a konsolidované a v případech stanovených
                    > zákonem i mezitímní účetní závěrky,'
                    >
                    > so i'd go for a 'member' - 'clen valne hromady' as they approve the
                    > financial statements and the audit is prepared for the attention of a
                    > 'member'... and they refer to 'members' as a body (To the fullest extent
                    > permitted by law, we do not accept or assume responsibility to anyone
                    > other
                    > than the company and the company's members as a body, for our audit work,
                    > for this report, or for the opinions we have formed.)
                    >
                    > still unsure about a 'director' - jednatel or spolecnik ... directors
                    > actually prepare the financial statements...
                    >
                    > just to add a spin - i always thought that 'board of directors' is purely
                    > supervisory... therefore an equivalent to 'dozorci rada'?
                    >
                    > S.

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                      The Trade Links translation of Obchodni zakonik indeed translates "spolecnik" as "member" in the section on SROs ("limited liability companies") (§ 105-153). IANAL, TINLA etc but Marta Chroma's Czech-English Law Dictionary agrees for this specific context (p. 342). As for "jednatel" BTW the Trade Links translation uses "executive". Or here is another idea from some dudes calling themselves "Czech National Bank" LOL:

                      One or more executive officers (in Czech "jednatele") constitute the company's...
                      www.cnb.cz/m2export/sites/www.cnb.../commercial_code.pdf

                      TTFN

                      M.

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, daniela.vranova <daniela.vranova@...> wrote:

                      > I still don't see why directors could not be jednatele and members spolecnici, however in czech sro the highest body is valna hromada that approves the final accounts and could have the same responsibilities you hinted. also, sro can (but usually does not) have a dozorci rada (and jednatele cannot participate in it).

                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Stanislav Zizka" <czechia007@...> wrote:

                        > just to add a spin - i always thought that 'board of directors' is purely
                        > supervisory... therefore an equivalent to 'dozorci rada'?

                        No way. Not for any kind of company. Completely different kettle of fish.

                      • Stanislav Zizka
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                          Wikipedia says:
                          Theoretically, the control of a company is divided between two bodies: the board of directors, and the shareholders in general meeting. In practice, the amount of power exercised by the board varies with the type of company. In small private companies, the directors and the shareholders will normally be the same people, and thus there is no real division of power. In large public companies, the board tends to exercise more of a supervisory role, and individual responsibility and management tends to be delegated downward to individual professional executive directors (such as a finance director or a marketing director) who deal with particular areas of the company's affairs.

                          so it can have a supervisory role - also in companies limited by guarantee (normally not-for-profit) where the board does not have any executive roles, purely approves the accounts,business plans, etc

                          > just to add a spin - i always thought that 'board of directors' is purely
                          > supervisory... therefore an equivalent to 'dozorci rada'?

                          No way. Not for any kind of company. Completely different kettle of fish.

                        • Sabina Králová
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                            Dobry den,

                            nedavno jsem se tu ptala na agenturu Solten. Odpovedi jsem ale omylem
                            smazala. Ted mne oslovili s konkretni nabidkou prekladu, ale nejsem si
                            jista, zda reference byly kladne, ci nikoli. Mohli byste mi prosim
                            poskytnout informace znovu? Jedna se mi predevsim o to, zda plati vcas atd.
                            Dekuji moc
                            Sabina
                          • kzgafas
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                              Dneska rano mi taky volali, maji ted s necim vetsim naspech. Kdyz jsem jim ale rekl svoji pribliznou cenu, tak nejak vychladli.

                              K.

                              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <sabina.kralova@...> wrote:

                              > Dobry den,
                              >
                              > nedavno jsem se tu ptala na agenturu Solten. Odpovedi jsem ale omylem
                              > smazala. Ted mne oslovili s konkretni nabidkou prekladu, ale nejsem si
                              > jista, zda reference byly kladne, ci nikoli. Mohli byste mi prosim
                              > poskytnout informace znovu? Jedna se mi predevsim o to, zda plati vcas atd.
                              > Dekuji moc
                              > Sabina

                            • Jan Culka
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                                Ano, cheji do tydne 300 stran med. textu EN/CZ. Dnes se mi taky ozvali. Mozna je neodradila moje cena, ale maly pocet stran, ktere jsem schopen udelat. Pry jsou na CZ trhu teprve kratce.
                                Ma nekdo nejake reference?
                                Honza

                                Dneska rano mi taky volali, maji ted s necim vetsim naspech. Kdyz jsem jim ale rekl svoji pribliznou cenu, tak nejak vychladli.

                                K.

                                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Sabina Králová <sabina.kralova@...> wrote:

                                > Dobry den,
                                >
                                > nedavno jsem se tu ptala na agenturu Solten. Odpovedi jsem ale omylem
                                > smazala. Ted mne oslovili s konkretni nabidkou prekladu, ale nejsem si
                                > jista, zda reference byly kladne, ci nikoli. Mohli byste mi prosim
                                > poskytnout informace znovu? Jedna se mi predevsim o to, zda plati vcas atd.
                                > Dekuji moc
                                > Sabina

                              • Sabina Králová
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 2, 2009
                                  Tak to bude neco podobneho, nerekla jsem si o moc, ale uz se neozvali.
                                  Sabina

                                  wrote:

                                  > Dobry den,
                                  >
                                  > nedavno jsem se tu ptala na agenturu Solten. Odpovedi jsem ale omylem
                                  > smazala. Ted mne oslovili s konkretni nabidkou prekladu, ale nejsem si
                                  > jista, zda reference byly kladne, ci nikoli. Mohli byste mi prosim
                                  > poskytnout informace znovu? Jedna se mi predevsim o to, zda plati vcas
                                  atd.
                                  > Dekuji moc
                                  > Sabina

                                • Stanislav Zizka