Re: [Czechlist] Slovak legal mess

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Charlie,

      IANAL, but I understand it that the father, through his attorney,
      appealed the ruling of the "okresny sud" in a higher court ("krajsky
      sud"), the "krajsky sud" has looked into the case and, in its ruling,
      confirmed the original verdict (that was being appealed).

      The wording perhaps indicates that this is most likely a report about
      this case (newspaper article? or an article at the okresny sud
      website?), and that whoever was investigating it asked at the "krajsky
      sud" office, discovering that the "krajsky sud" decided the case on 26th
      May as described above.

      HTH,
      Josef

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi Charlie,

        If it's the sort of passive form what puzzles you here, you need to look at
        the place expression at the beginning of your marked section, "V civilnej
        kancelarii Krajskeho sudu Presov", as the actual (semantic) subject. That
        is, the _staff thereof_ 'found out that the appeal submitted had been
        decided upon as of May 26, 2009, confirming the ruling appealed against'
        (convert to your native English)...

      • Charlie Stanford
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          Thank you Jirka and Josef. That would make sense. IANAL - I am not a lawyer? took me about half an hour to work that one out.

          If it's the sort of passive form what puzzles you here, you need to look at
          the place expression at the beginning of your marked section, "V civilnej
          kancelarii Krajskeho sudu Presov", as the actual (semantic) subject. That
          is, the _staff thereof_ 'found out that the appeal submitted had been
          decided upon as of May 26, 2009, confirming the ruling appealed against'
          (convert to your native English)...

          Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
          Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 1553 spam-emailů.
          Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
          Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            IANAL - you got it exactly right. For the record - www.acronymfinder.com
            is a good way to solve these.

            Regarding Jirka's reply:
            I believe that "V civilnej kancelarii [...] bolo zistene" does not
            necessarily mean that the very staff of the office had to find out - it
            could have been someone else who called them or visited them (it would
            be a clumsy expression but that does not surprise me if the authors are
            lawyers).

            Josef