Medical dictionary

  • LizS
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
      Hi,

      I just noticed that Lingea recently came out with a Cz/En medical dictionary on CD ROM. Does anyone out there already have it? Is it an improvement on the old Grada medical dictionary?

      Thx

      Liz
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Liz or everyone,

        I have no idea about this one, but is there any PC-based medical
        dictionary worth using and the money, say compared to Millenium which is
        available online at volny.cz? (In my experience, whenever I need to look
        up a medical term in Millenium, either the Czech equivalent is not there
        at all or the relevant meaning is missing.)

        Thanks
        Martin

        LizS napsal(a):

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just noticed that Lingea recently came out with a Cz/En medical
        > dictionary on CD ROM. Does anyone out there already have it? Is it an
        > improvement on the old Grada medical dictionary?
        >
        > Thx
        >
        > Liz
      • LizS
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi Martin,

          Interestingly, on the Internet I also found another medical dictionary on CD by Jiri Vedral. Well, I'll buy this Lingea one and offer a little review in half a year.

          (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)

          Otherwise my "electronic medical dictionary" thus far has been google, entering the term and adding site:.europa.eu at the end -- SPCs in almost every language are on the Europa site and I often have luck. Medical jargon and acronyms are an entirely different matter, though.

          Cheers

          Liz

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            OK Liz, looking forward to your review, thanks!

            I've got several small Vedral's glossaries, including medical ones,
            perhaps it's the same stuff? (But the things I am looking for are
            typically not there either.)

            Martin

            LizS napsal(a):

            > Hi Martin,
            >
            > Interestingly, on the Internet I also found another medical dictionary
            > on CD by Jiri Vedral. Well, I'll buy this Lingea one and offer a little
            > review in half a year.
            >
            > (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where
            > I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)
            >
            > Otherwise my "electronic medical dictionary" thus far has been google,
            > entering the term and adding site:.europa.eu at the end -- SPCs in
            > almost every language are on the Europa site and I often have luck.
            > Medical jargon and acronyms are an entirely different matter, though.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Liz

            > Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Liz or everyone,
            > >
            > > I have no idea about this one, but is there any PC-based medical
            > > dictionary worth using and the money, say compared to Millenium which is
            > > available online at volny.cz? (In my experience, whenever I need to look
            > > up a medical term in Millenium, either the Czech equivalent is not there
            > > at all or the relevant meaning is missing.)
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Martin
            > >

            > > LizS napsal(a):
            > > >

            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I just noticed that Lingea recently came out with a Cz/En medical
            > > > dictionary on CD ROM. Does anyone out there already have it? Is it an
            > > > improvement on the old Grada medical dictionary?
            > > >
            > > > Thx
            > > >
            > > > Liz

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "LizS" <spacils@...> wrote:

              > (Melvyn - idea of what more to add here - news and reviews! That's where I can also add that a CZ/SK dictionary I bought a year ago is crap.)

              Liz, if you say it is crap then that is good enough for me and I don't really want to know all the crappy details :-O, though we do actually have a Czechlist files section for that kind of thing:

              Or how about a Czechlist Facebook page? We could have reviews of other crappy dictionaries and a crappiest dictionary of the year award, not to mention fun trivia quizzes, a fun Czech idiom of the week and fun poetry translation competitions.

              Or let's just not bother.

              :-)

              Melvyn