INFO: Literature (was "The Noun in Translation")

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
      > From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>
      >
      > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
      slovnik
      > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
      > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
      > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

      > Kostas

      Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
      what I am looking for. But what is really great is a SW En/Cz dictionary by
      K+K Commercial Services, Brno. Several modules, including business/legal,
      technical, medical, pharmacology, chemical, etc. Not that they would be that
      good in searching for terms - they�ve simply stolen out several existing
      printout dictionaries (including Pravni - Chroma, for instance).

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
        Kostas Zgafas wrote:

        > What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik (one
        volume
        > for each of both directions).
        > What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
        > very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

        Very true. I wish there were more dictionaies like this one (or rather these
        two). It again contrasts strongly with a bidirectional dictionary "...
        elektrotechnicky a elektronicky..." by Libuse Malinova's team (SNTL 1982).

        Jirka Bolech
        Liberec, CR
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 19, 2000
          > > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
          >slovnik
          > > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
          > > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
          > > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).
          >
          > > Kostas
          >

          >Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
          >what I am looking for.

          Pozor--even if you do find it, chances are that the equivalents
          listed will be wrong.
          Michael