discipline

  • Prekladatelsky servis
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
      Dobre odpoledne,
      zajimalo by me, jak interpretujete "discipline" v nasledujici vete:

      "The aim of the present Decision is to establish whether the services offered by Poste are exposed to such a level of competition (on markets to which access is free) that this will ensure that, also in the ABSENCE OF THE DISCIPLINE BROUGHT ABOUT BY the detailed procurement rules set out in Directive 2004/17/EC, Poste's procurement for the pursuit of the activities concerned here will be carried out in a transparent, non-discriminatory manner based on criteria allowing it to identify the solution which overall is the economically most advantageous one!

      Predem diky za pomoc.
      Iveta

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
        First off, that's a horrible sentence. It's unbelievable that a human even wrote that.

        It simply means discipline, or something like ukazenost. In this case it means an external motivation to follow rules and proper practices. We often talk about "market discipline", which basically means the pressure that market competition exerts on a business to behave in a rational, customer-friendly manner.

        Jamie

        On Nov 28, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Prekladatelsky servis wrote:

        > Dobre odpoledne,
        > zajimalo by me, jak interpretujete "discipline" v nasledujici vete:
        >
        > "The aim of the present Decision is to establish whether the services offered by Poste are exposed to such a level of competition (on markets to which access is free) that this will ensure that, also in the ABSENCE OF THE DISCIPLINE BROUGHT ABOUT BY the detailed procurement rules set out in Directive 2004/17/EC, Poste's procurement for the pursuit of the activities concerned here will be carried out in a transparent, non-discriminatory manner based on criteria allowing it to identify the solution which overall is the economically most advantageous one!
        >
        > Predem diky za pomoc.
        > Iveta

      • Prekladatelsky servis
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
          so if I understand it correctly "in the absence of the discipline brought
          about by the detailed procurement rules..." could be translated something
          like "pri nedodrzeni podrobnych pravidel hospodarske souteze..."

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
            No, it means that the rules of the directive are not applied to Poste but that the level of competition will have the same effect on the company's behavior as the application of a directive would.

            Europeans tend to think that if someone is not formally regulated by the government he will behave unethically. This sentence is asserting the more American view, which is that government regulation is not needed in this case, because market competition forces ethical behavior without the need for direct government regulation.

            Jamie

            On Nov 28, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Prekladatelsky servis wrote:

            > so if I understand it correctly "in the absence of the discipline brought
            > about by the detailed procurement rules..." could be translated something
            > like "pri nedodrzeni podrobnych pravidel hospodarske souteze..."
            >
            > Iveta

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
              It means in the absence of these detailed rules - it's talking about
              markets where these rules don't exist and asking whether there is enough
              competition in such markets to ensure that Poste will behave in a
              transparent etc. way.

              Valerie

              On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 13:44 +0100, Prekladatelsky servis wrote:
              > so if I understand it correctly "in the absence of the discipline brought
              > about by the detailed procurement rules..." could be translated something
              > like "pri nedodrzeni podrobnych pravidel hospodarske souteze..."
              >
              > Iveta

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
                or, to be more precise, "in the absence of these rules, with their
                disciplining effect, is there enough competition in these markets to
                ensure that..."

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
                  Yes.