Re: Ceny

  • jpelka@seznam.cz
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2000
      experiences with local agencies, with their own clients? Are they
      able to
      > recommend us how to deal in trying to increase rates?
      >
      > K.

      Dear Kostas,

      as an anecdote, one very experienced guy told us at a CHICATA
      meeting, about translating - "You want to be a translator? Go find a
      job! (And then translate evenings and week-ends what you like and at
      what rate you are happy!)"

      But, seriously, I guess most if not all experienced and good
      professional translators will tell you to do one thing.

      Step by step try to eliminate "bad guys" who do not pay, who pay
      slave rate, and who do not give you other conditions you would like
      to have, including but not limited to understanding and knowledge and
      contact with final customer when necessary.

      Simultaneously, "caress" and "spoil" the good guys by you honest,
      direct and timely attitude.

      It does sound rather easy, doesn´t it?

      Jirka P.

      PS Simplistically as it might sound, I don´t think native guys will
      tell you much more except their natural advantage of not being
      spoiled (again this nice word, now with negative context) by
      kafkasque (thank Jamie for reminding me this, I live in this k.
      world) environment. In addition, they have other natural advantage -
      only in direction into English, of course, - that they are native
      English speakers.