Re: TERM: redeemed certificate (correction)

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
      Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:

      You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
      redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx

      K.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

      > Ahoj Kostasi,
      >
      > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi vety v
      > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni) carka a
      > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I to velke
      > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
      >
      > Jirka Bolech

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
        It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
          Okay, so "Certificate" isn't a new clause's subject, but it should be
          separated with punctuation anyway...

        • kzgafas
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
            Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.

            K.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:

            > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
            >
            > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
            > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
            >

            > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
            > >
            > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
            > >
            > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
            > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
            > >
            > > K.
            > >
            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Ahoj Kostasi,
            > > >
            > > > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi
            > > vety v
            > > > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni)
            > > carka a
            > > > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I
            > > to velke
            > > > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
            > > >
            > > > Jirka Bolech

          • Jennifer Hejtmankova
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
              "Redeem" is when you exchange the certificate that they sent you in
              the junk mail for whatever item/prize they are offering. You also
              redeem money-off coupons at the store for a discount at the cash
              register.

              I think the word "recognitions" in your sentence is wrong, somehow.
              Doesn't sound like native English.

              Jennifer

              On 5.11.2009, at 15:10, kzgafas wrote:

              > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at
              > least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand
              > the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I
              > never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.
              >
              > K.
              >
              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
              > >
              > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to
              > be
              > > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
              > >

              > > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
              > > >
              > > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting
              > to be
              > > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
              > > >
              > > > K.
              > > >
              > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>

              > > > vety v
              > > > carka a
              > "Certificate". I
              > > > to velke

            • Mike Trittipo
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                On Nov 5 2009, kzgafas wrote:
                > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least
                > the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word
                > "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid
                > attention to, and I do not understand that word.

                "Redeemed" means turned in for cash (or whatever the thing is exchangeable
                for): turned in, cashed in, exchanged for, etc.

                "Recognition" might -- just maybe -- have been meant to be "reward," i.e.,
                a reward for using the service or credit card or airline or whatever that
                is the source of this certificate or coupon. But unfortunately, some places
                with these "reward" (fidelity) programs are using the word "recognition,"
                too.
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Vyuzity.

                  M.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Kostasi,

                    ja bych rekl, ze "recognition" je firemni zargon a jde o nejaky druh
                    poukazek (pripomina mi to nestandardni slovnik ruznych pyramidovych systemu
                    jako Herbalife nebo Amway...). Ja bych tady "redeemed" prekladal jako
                    "uplatnene", "vyuzite" nebo tak nejak...

                  • kzgafas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
                      Diky vsem.