RE: [Czechlist] TERM: redeemed certificate

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
      Ahoj Kostasi,

      mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi vety v
      souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni) carka a
      "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I to velke
      pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...

    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
        Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:

        You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
        redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx

        K.

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

        > Ahoj Kostasi,
        >
        > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi vety v
        > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni) carka a
        > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I to velke
        > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
        >
        > Jirka Bolech

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
          It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
            Okay, so "Certificate" isn't a new clause's subject, but it should be
            separated with punctuation anyway...

          • kzgafas
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
              Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.

              K.

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:

              > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
              >
              > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
              > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
              >

              > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
              > >
              > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
              > >
              > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
              > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
              > >
              > > K.
              > >
              > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Ahoj Kostasi,
              > > >
              > > > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi
              > > vety v
              > > > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni)
              > > carka a
              > > > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I
              > > to velke
              > > > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
              > > >
              > > > Jirka Bolech

            • Jennifer Hejtmankova
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                "Redeem" is when you exchange the certificate that they sent you in
                the junk mail for whatever item/prize they are offering. You also
                redeem money-off coupons at the store for a discount at the cash
                register.

                I think the word "recognitions" in your sentence is wrong, somehow.
                Doesn't sound like native English.

                Jennifer

                On 5.11.2009, at 15:10, kzgafas wrote:

                > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at
                > least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand
                > the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I
                > never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.
                >
                > K.
                >
                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
                > >
                > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to
                > be
                > > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
                > >

                > > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
                > > >
                > > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting
                > to be
                > > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
                > > >
                > > > K.
                > > >
                > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>

                > > > vety v
                > > > carka a
                > "Certificate". I
                > > > to velke

              • Mike Trittipo
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                  On Nov 5 2009, kzgafas wrote:
                  > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least
                  > the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word
                  > "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid
                  > attention to, and I do not understand that word.

                  "Redeemed" means turned in for cash (or whatever the thing is exchangeable
                  for): turned in, cashed in, exchanged for, etc.

                  "Recognition" might -- just maybe -- have been meant to be "reward," i.e.,
                  a reward for using the service or credit card or airline or whatever that
                  is the source of this certificate or coupon. But unfortunately, some places
                  with these "reward" (fidelity) programs are using the word "recognition,"
                  too.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Vyuzity.

                    M.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                      Kostasi,

                      ja bych rekl, ze "recognition" je firemni zargon a jde o nejaky druh
                      poukazek (pripomina mi to nestandardni slovnik ruznych pyramidovych systemu
                      jako Herbalife nebo Amway...). Ja bych tady "redeemed" prekladal jako
                      "uplatnene", "vyuzite" nebo tak nejak...

                    • kzgafas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
                        Diky vsem.