TERM: redeemed certificate

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
      How would you simply translate "redeemed certificate"? The context concerns awarding gifts upon gift certificates.

      ...You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be redeemed Certificate....

      Thank you,

      K.
    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
        There must be a colon missing after redeemed - even then, it doesn't
        make total sense (the word "recognitions" is rather odd), but without a
        colon after redeemed it doesn't make sense at all!

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
          Ahoj Kostasi,

          mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi vety v
          souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni) carka a
          "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I to velke
          pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...

        • kzgafas
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
            Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:

            You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
            redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx

            K.

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@...> wrote:

            > Ahoj Kostasi,
            >
            > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi vety v
            > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni) carka a
            > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I to velke
            > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
            >
            > Jirka Bolech

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
              It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                Okay, so "Certificate" isn't a new clause's subject, but it should be
                separated with punctuation anyway...

              • kzgafas
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.

                  K.

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:

                  > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
                  >
                  > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
                  > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
                  >

                  > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
                  > >
                  > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to be
                  > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
                  > >
                  > > K.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ahoj Kostasi,
                  > > >
                  > > > mne pripada, ze Certificate je podmet nebo zacatek podmetu dalsi
                  > > vety v
                  > > > souveti. Jinak receno, za "redeemed" by mohla byt (interpunkcni)
                  > > carka a
                  > > > "reedemed" se vztahuje k "recognitions", nikoliv k "Certificate". I
                  > > to velke
                  > > > pocatecni C u Certificate a male r u redeemed tomu nasvedcuji...
                  > > >
                  > > > Jirka Bolech

                • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                    "Redeem" is when you exchange the certificate that they sent you in
                    the junk mail for whatever item/prize they are offering. You also
                    redeem money-off coupons at the store for a discount at the cash
                    register.

                    I think the word "recognitions" in your sentence is wrong, somehow.
                    Doesn't sound like native English.

                    Jennifer

                    On 5.11.2009, at 15:10, kzgafas wrote:

                    > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at
                    > least the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand
                    > the word "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I
                    > never paid attention to, and I do not understand that word.
                    >
                    > K.
                    >
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It still looks as if they've missed out a colon after redeemed...
                    > >
                    > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting to
                    > be
                    > > redeemed: Certificate ID: xxxxx
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:07 +0000, kzgafas wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Sorry, you are right, I omitted something. So again the context:
                    > > >
                    > > > You also have these additional outstanding recognitions waiting
                    > to be
                    > > > redeemed Certificate ID: xxxxx
                    > > >
                    > > > K.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jirka Bolech" <jirka.bolech@>

                    > > > vety v
                    > > > carka a
                    > "Certificate". I
                    > > > to velke

                  • Mike Trittipo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                      On Nov 5 2009, kzgafas wrote:
                      > Oh I see the point. There should be dot. Sorry, now I understand at least
                      > the structure. But what about "redeemed"? I do not understand the word
                      > "redeemed". I remember it is a junk mail terminology I never paid
                      > attention to, and I do not understand that word.

                      "Redeemed" means turned in for cash (or whatever the thing is exchangeable
                      for): turned in, cashed in, exchanged for, etc.

                      "Recognition" might -- just maybe -- have been meant to be "reward," i.e.,
                      a reward for using the service or credit card or airline or whatever that
                      is the source of this certificate or coupon. But unfortunately, some places
                      with these "reward" (fidelity) programs are using the word "recognition,"
                      too.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                        Vyuzity.

                        M.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                          Kostasi,

                          ja bych rekl, ze "recognition" je firemni zargon a jde o nejaky druh
                          poukazek (pripomina mi to nestandardni slovnik ruznych pyramidovych systemu
                          jako Herbalife nebo Amway...). Ja bych tady "redeemed" prekladal jako
                          "uplatnene", "vyuzite" nebo tak nejak...

                        • kzgafas
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 6, 2009
                            Diky vsem.