Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: TERMS

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13 4:53 AM
      Oh, Melvyn, you are a googling genius!
      Thanks so much!
      Regards,
      Jarda

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: melvyn.geo
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:31 PM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: TERMS

      Not familiar with this kind of thing myself, but I found something on Stool Lands:

      http://pages.citebite.com/u1y6r7r5c0fyl

      Stool lands, as their name implies, are lands owned by the various stools in their respective areas of operation. Among these stools are the Osu Stool, Sempe Stool, Nungua Stool etc.

      http://mylandghana.com/myland/readnews.php?news_id=42&title=Overview+Land+Types+And+Procedures

      So I get the idea that a Stool (stolec zapadoafrickeho nacelnika - Hais Hodek), like a throne, is a metonym for a powerful person and his (or her?) lands, property etc.

      A stool in trust appears to be a stool owned on behalf of the community under it, see:

      http://www.modernghana.com/news/62360/1/association-threatens-to-demonstrate-against-lands.html

      HTH

      M.