Re: [Czechlist] ligovy and extraligovy

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
      Correct, I wasn't sure about the minor bit...

      Now what would you do with footbal/soccer, where we I think have prvni, druhou a treti ligu, prvni being the major one... Would have to be BR Eng for footbal...divisions??

      Not that I care, I don't follow it and am mildly (sometimes deeply) disgusted by the players' attitudes, the primitiveness of the bosses (Pribram close to where we live is 'owned' by the boss of its [mediocre] footbal team and mafia tycoon Starka of the motorway arrest fame, now a member of the game's top governing body as well) and the bribery scandals.... at zije sport!

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
        We would say 1st division, 2nd division, etc.

        What would you do with the "peewee leagues" in hockey and other sports?

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
          Where does the name come from? (I don't suppose it's a combination of US ENG 'to pee' and BR ENG 'to wee') - which I'm sure you'd know mean the same...

          I think we call that zakovska/juniorska liga

          I think we have mladsi zaci, starsi zaci/zacky, juniori, not sure what the adult normal age is and then seniori in most sports...

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
            The peewee leagues are for kids so small they can barely walk yet.
            Maybe they're as old as 5.

            JK

          • jeninprague
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009

              > The peewee leagues are for kids so small they can barely walk yet.
              > Maybe they're as old as 5.
              >
              > JK

              It's called "pripravka" or something like that, isn't it, Matej?

              Thanks to both for the discussion on ligovy/extraligovy, unfortunately I know for sure it's not minor and major league, and I wasn't comfortable with first and second division, so I left it up to the client to put in the correct terminology. Hopefully I'll get some feedback so that I get it right next time.

              Jennifer
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
                Guess what. Googling "extra league" comes up with the term being used
                in the UK regarding rugby, although most of the hits come from Eastern
                Europe.

                This brings me back to my hunch before I was confused by Matej. :-)

                ligovy - intra-league

                extraligovy - extra-league

                They have a parallel at US high schools and colleges where students
                play intramural and extramural sports.

                Jamie

                On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:36 PM, jeninprague wrote:

                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > The peewee leagues are for kids so small they can barely walk yet.
                > > Maybe they're as old as 5.
                > >
                > > JK
                > >

                > It's called "pripravka" or something like that, isn't it, Matej?
                >
                > Thanks to both for the discussion on ligovy/extraligovy,
                > unfortunately I know for sure it's not minor and major league, and I
                > wasn't comfortable with first and second division, so I left it up
                > to the client to put in the correct terminology. Hopefully I'll get
                > some feedback so that I get it right next time.
                >
                > Jennifer

              • kent.kasha
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                  It depends on the context, but I usually do not translate extraliga, but then again when I translate hockey related texts the target audience are interested and informed about Czech hockey. So I would translate extraliga as Extraliga and liga/prvni liga as First League. If the target reader is not informed about Czech hockey then you can choose some other translation or explain the terms in brackets.

                  > Guess what. Googling "extra league" comes up with the term being used
                  > in the UK regarding rugby, although most of the hits come from Eastern
                  > Europe.
                  >
                  > This brings me back to my hunch before I was confused by Matej. :-)
                  >
                  > ligovy - intra-league
                  >
                  > extraligovy - extra-league
                  >
                  > They have a parallel at US high schools and colleges where students
                  > play intramural and extramural sports.
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:36 PM, jeninprague wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The peewee leagues are for kids so small they can barely walk yet.
                  > > > Maybe they're as old as 5.
                  > > >
                  > > > JK
                  > > >

                  > > It's called "pripravka" or something like that, isn't it, Matej?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks to both for the discussion on ligovy/extraligovy,
                  > > unfortunately I know for sure it's not minor and major league, and I
                  > > wasn't comfortable with first and second division, so I left it up
                  > > to the client to put in the correct terminology. Hopefully I'll get
                  > > some feedback so that I get it right next time.
                  > >
                  > > Jennifer

                • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                    Thanks - the assignment was actually articles for the Czech women's
                    hockey website, so I'm pretty sure the readers will be well-informed.
                    I did leave them untranslated (but highlighted) as I wasn't entirely
                    sure, but if I get more work from them, now I'll know.

                    Jennifer

                    On 6.8.2009, at 13:38, kent.kasha wrote:

                    > It depends on the context, but I usually do not translate extraliga,
                    > but then again when I translate hockey related texts the target
                    > audience are interested and informed about Czech hockey. So I would
                    > translate extraliga as Extraliga and liga/prvni liga as First
                    > League. If the target reader is not informed about Czech hockey then
                    > you can choose some other translation or explain the terms in
                    > brackets.
                    >
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Guess what. Googling "extra league" comes up with the term being
                    > used
                    > > in the UK regarding rugby, although most of the hits come from
                    > Eastern
                    > > Europe.
                    > >
                    > > This brings me back to my hunch before I was confused by Matej. :-)
                    > >
                    > > ligovy - intra-league
                    > >
                    > > extraligovy - extra-league
                    > >
                    > > They have a parallel at US high schools and colleges where students
                    > > play intramural and extramural sports.
                    > >
                    > > Jamie
                    > >
                    > > On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:36 PM, jeninprague wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@>

                    > yet.

                    > > > It's called "pripravka" or something like that, isn't it, Matej?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks to both for the discussion on ligovy/extraligovy,
                    > > > unfortunately I know for sure it's not minor and major league,
                    > and I
                    > > > wasn't comfortable with first and second division, so I left it up
                    > > > to the client to put in the correct terminology. Hopefully I'll
                    > get
                    > > > some feedback so that I get it right next time.
                    > > >
                    > > > Jennifer

                  • kent.kasha
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                      Yeah, I also did a check and the Hockey News and NHL sites referred to the Czech Extraliga, so it should be okay without translation. Besides the Czechs also use Premiere League without translating it.