Revisited: Google Translate

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4 11:14 PM
      I find this tool as EXTREMELY useful in learning another language. I use it to create for me bilingual texts of various articles picked-up from internet (e.g. Greek to Eng(or Czech), arrange it so that I have both versions alligned paragraph by paragraph next to each other, and then I study the source being able to see quickly corresponding terms in the target. Although the target is not accurate translation, of course, the individual terms are either right or provide at least a good suggestion.

      K.
    • Jennifer Hejtmankova
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5 12:02 AM
        Google translate often comes up with some real doozies, though - for
        example yesterday I plugged in an article in Czech about women's
        hockey, and for some truly unknown reason, in one sentence, it
        translated "hockey" as "suicide"!!! Needless to say, I did burst out
        laughing...definitely take all Google translations with a grain of
        salt, but I agree, it can be a useful tool.

        Jen

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6 5:09 AM
          You might also like a Firefox add-on that I use, called Inline
          Translator:

          You highlight text on a web page, and it comes up as floating text
          above it. Before I tried it, I thought it would be junk, but it does
          a passable job of translating every language I've tried.

          Jamie