Re: [Czechlist] Horror Story

  • Libor
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi,

      well, to je prostě "horor", nebo "hrůzy", nebo "otřesné zážitky" nebo
      "procházíte si peklem, prožíváte peklo", a podobně.
      Sorry to hear it, people, even the "life experienced" ones, are
      sometimes pretty unexperienced, when it comes to dealing with some
      relationship troubles after the age of 50 or 60. Have it seen in my
      family too.

      Take care
      Libor

      2009/8/3 Romana <translators@...>:

      > Hi friends,
      >
      > I just need the term "horror story" in Czech, for writing a personal letter.
      >
      > My relatives in my old home country are going through extremely tough
      > emotional relationship issues. What I want to write in my letter is,
      >
      > "You are experiencing real horror stories in your relationships, aren't
      > you?"
      >
      > I would like to demonstrate that I understand and accept their feelings.
      > However, I couldn't find the term "horror story" in any CS-EN dictionary in
      > my old-fashioned printed "Siebenschein" library. What is happening over
      > there, is exciting and terrifying, and it can be a lesson for all of us. It
      > is really the ultimate science fiction of all worst-case scenarios one could
      > ever imagine:
      >
      > Parents in their 50-ies beating each other up on Christmas Eve; the man
      > leaving his 25+years' wife for a more attractive younger sex partner round
      > the corner; the son, a young boy in his 20-ies, with no proper education
      > because his parents never could make the time or afford the money, is
      > trying to escape, running through the snow to the next railway station with
      > just his little bit of the pocket money he could save, hoping to find rescue
      > in the big big world - which is the concrete floor at the main railway
      > station of Prague; he is "breaking free" from his parents and his 86-year
      > old grandmother (who I love dearly, as she was my second mum) and placing an
      > empty hat in front of his mattress in the gangway at the Prague railway
      > station before he goes to sleep on a piece of cardboard ... Maybe some
      > stranger will drop a coin so he can buy some food before he spends another
      > $2 on communicating with me via the big city's internet shop ...
      >
      > and my 86-years old grandmother from this little village in the mountains
      > writing me a birthday card last week, and not saying a single word about her
      > suffering ... not even mentioning the facts ... just wishing me well, and
      > telling me that she is "alright".
      >
      > What an amazing woman.
      >
      > Have you got any words for that?
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Romana
      >
      > Romana Vlcek
      >
      > NAATI Accredited Translator for English-German
      >
      > Berri, South Australia
      >
      > Phone: +41 8 8582 5058
      >
      > Web: http://encs.users.dict.cc/romy/

      http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcw4gtxc_56ddksjqc2&hl=cs

      www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
    • Romana
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
        Thanks Libor, that helps a lot! Very good suggestions.

        Regards,

        Romana