Horror Story

  • Romana
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi friends,

      I just need the term "horror story" in Czech, for writing a personal letter.

      My relatives in my old home country are going through extremely tough
      emotional relationship issues. What I want to write in my letter is,

      "You are experiencing real horror stories in your relationships, aren't
      you?"

      I would like to demonstrate that I understand and accept their feelings.
      However, I couldn't find the term "horror story" in any CS-EN dictionary in
      my old-fashioned printed "Siebenschein" library. What is happening over
      there, is exciting and terrifying, and it can be a lesson for all of us. It
      is really the ultimate science fiction of all worst-case scenarios one could
      ever imagine:

      Parents in their 50-ies beating each other up on Christmas Eve; the man
      leaving his 25+years' wife for a more attractive younger sex partner round
      the corner; the son, a young boy in his 20-ies, with no proper education
      because his parents never could make the time or afford the money, is
      trying to escape, running through the snow to the next railway station with
      just his little bit of the pocket money he could save, hoping to find rescue
      in the big big world - which is the concrete floor at the main railway
      station of Prague; he is "breaking free" from his parents and his 86-year
      old grandmother (who I love dearly, as she was my second mum) and placing an
      empty hat in front of his mattress in the gangway at the Prague railway
      station before he goes to sleep on a piece of cardboard ... Maybe some
      stranger will drop a coin so he can buy some food before he spends another
      $2 on communicating with me via the big city's internet shop ...

      and my 86-years old grandmother from this little village in the mountains
      writing me a birthday card last week, and not saying a single word about her
      suffering ... not even mentioning the facts ... just wishing me well, and
      telling me that she is "alright".

      What an amazing woman.

      Have you got any words for that?

      Best regards,

      Romana

      Romana Vlcek

      NAATI Accredited Translator for English-German

      Berri, South Australia

      Phone: +41 8 8582 5058

      Web: http://encs.users.dict.cc/romy/

    • Alena Rysková 2e
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
        K tomuto jsem prisla pres PF UK, preposilam
        Alena

        Dear colleague,
        My name is Jan-Hendrik Opdenhoff. I am an interpreting trainer at the Faculty for Interpreting and Translation of the University of Granada and a member of the investigation group GRETI. I found your e-mail on the internet where you appear as an interpreter and I'm writing to ask you to participate in an international survey on directionality in conference interpreting, which is a part of my doctoral thesis.

        If you are working in the field of conference interpreting, it would be a GREAT HELP to me, if you could find a moment to fill in the questionnaire (available in four languages) about your opinion and experiences in directionality.

        I well know that these kinds of questionnaires are time consuming and we all have too little free time. But on the other hand, I believe that cooperation between the professional and the academic area of conference interpreting is very important. To help facilitate your decision and reward your participation, we have decided to raffle some prizes: one being a four-night-stay for 1 to 4 people in a typical house in Granada with views of the Alhambra. You can have a look at the prizes on
        http://www.ugr.es/~jan/english.html.

        To participate, please choose one of the following links:
        English version: http://ofb.msd-media.de/survey_directionality_gb
        French version: http://ofb.msd-media.de/survey_directionality_f
        Spanish version: http://ofb.msd-media.de/survey_directionality_e
        German version: http://ofb.msd-media.de/survey_directionality_d

        Finally, I want to ask you to please forward this message to other colleagues. This study will only make sense if there is a wide and varied range of participation.

        Thank you so much for your help and feel free to contact me if you have any questions (Jan-Hendrik Opdenhoff, Departamento de Traducción e Interpretación, Universidad de Granada.
        E-Mail: jan@...).

        Sincerely, Jan-Hendrik Opdenhoff

      • Libor
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
          Hi,

          well, to je prostě "horor", nebo "hrůzy", nebo "otřesné zážitky" nebo
          "procházíte si peklem, prožíváte peklo", a podobně.
          Sorry to hear it, people, even the "life experienced" ones, are
          sometimes pretty unexperienced, when it comes to dealing with some
          relationship troubles after the age of 50 or 60. Have it seen in my
          family too.

          Take care
          Libor

          2009/8/3 Romana <translators@...>:

          > Hi friends,
          >
          > I just need the term "horror story" in Czech, for writing a personal letter.
          >
          > My relatives in my old home country are going through extremely tough
          > emotional relationship issues. What I want to write in my letter is,
          >
          > "You are experiencing real horror stories in your relationships, aren't
          > you?"
          >
          > I would like to demonstrate that I understand and accept their feelings.
          > However, I couldn't find the term "horror story" in any CS-EN dictionary in
          > my old-fashioned printed "Siebenschein" library. What is happening over
          > there, is exciting and terrifying, and it can be a lesson for all of us. It
          > is really the ultimate science fiction of all worst-case scenarios one could
          > ever imagine:
          >
          > Parents in their 50-ies beating each other up on Christmas Eve; the man
          > leaving his 25+years' wife for a more attractive younger sex partner round
          > the corner; the son, a young boy in his 20-ies, with no proper education
          > because his parents never could make the time or afford the money, is
          > trying to escape, running through the snow to the next railway station with
          > just his little bit of the pocket money he could save, hoping to find rescue
          > in the big big world - which is the concrete floor at the main railway
          > station of Prague; he is "breaking free" from his parents and his 86-year
          > old grandmother (who I love dearly, as she was my second mum) and placing an
          > empty hat in front of his mattress in the gangway at the Prague railway
          > station before he goes to sleep on a piece of cardboard ... Maybe some
          > stranger will drop a coin so he can buy some food before he spends another
          > $2 on communicating with me via the big city's internet shop ...
          >
          > and my 86-years old grandmother from this little village in the mountains
          > writing me a birthday card last week, and not saying a single word about her
          > suffering ... not even mentioning the facts ... just wishing me well, and
          > telling me that she is "alright".
          >
          > What an amazing woman.
          >
          > Have you got any words for that?
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Romana
          >
          > Romana Vlcek
          >
          > NAATI Accredited Translator for English-German
          >
          > Berri, South Australia
          >
          > Phone: +41 8 8582 5058
          >
          > Web: http://encs.users.dict.cc/romy/

          http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcw4gtxc_56ddksjqc2&hl=cs

          www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
        • Romana
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
            Thanks Libor, that helps a lot! Very good suggestions.

            Regards,

            Romana