Re: [Czechlist] Professor as title

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
      Yes, in English we do use "Professor" as a title in something like
      that, but not again and again, as the Czechs do. It would go like this:

      On the first mention (usually if the paragraph begins with his name)
      we'd give only his first name and surname, usually followed by the
      abbreviation of his academic credential, such as PhD or PsyD. After
      that, we would call him "Professor X" one or two times in the
      paragraph. The rest of the time we would just use either his surname,
      or if the tone is friendlier, his first name.

      Jamie

      On Aug 1, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jennifer Hejtmankova wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm translating some biographies, and one gentleman is a professor at
      > a university in Japan. The Czech text refers to him throughout as
      > "Professor X" - I might be overthinking this, but is it normal to use
      > the same in English? "Professor X has taught at the uni for 11 years"
      > "Professor X recently completed a Japanese translation of blahblah"
      > It sounds like Czechlish to me, and need the advice of others....I
      > have been changing it to "Mr" throughout, but I don't want to cause
      > any offense!
      >
      > TIA,
      > Jennifer
      >
      > (needs to buy a style guide or strucna mluvnice for English - was in
      > the US last week, but couldn't decide on one - any suggestions?
      > Jamie?)

    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
        Jennifer Hejtmankova wrote:
        > I'm translating some biographies, and one gentleman is a professor at
        > a university in Japan. The Czech text refers to him throughout as
        > "Professor X" - I might be overthinking this, but is it normal to use
        > the same in English? "Professor X has taught at the uni for 11 years"
        > . . .
        > (needs to buy a style guide or strucna mluvnice for English - was in
        > the US last week, but couldn't decide on one - any suggestions? Jamie?)

        As to the title question, Jamie's suggestions about use would apply in
        many articles. Here's an example using surnames only (with status as
        professor indicated in a parenthetical or otherwise):
        http://news.columbia.edu/oncampus/1615 and here's another:
        http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106415885 and yet
        two more:
        http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Choosing-Civility-in-a-Rude-Culture.html
        and http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/atm-photo-find.html .

        But obviously it may vary from publication to publication. As it
        happens, the New York Times seems to use the title all the time, to
        judge from these two examples:
        http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/09stra.html and
        http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/02/technology/02WIRE.html . I wondered
        whether that might be a newspaper-vs-magazine division, but another
        newspaper
        (http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=30568724 )
        uses a style more like the Smithsonian or the Columbia magazine.

        As for style guides, I don't think one often goes wrong with the Chicago
        Manual of Style on the U.S. side of the Atlantic. I dislike the
        Associated Press guide myself. I don't have personal experience with
        the Oxford or Cambridge guides from the U.K.

        I shan't wade into the issue of grammars as opposed to style guides.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
          The best US style guide -- which no one ever discusses or demands --
          is The Gregg Reference Manual. The Chicago Manual of Style and some
          others leave a lot of questions unanswered, but in years of editing at
          publishers and advertising agencies, I have never seen anyone come up
          with an issue that the Gregg manual didn't resolve.

          I don't think the AP guide is of much use either. In my opinion, one
          is best working with the Gregg manual and a pair of good dictionaries.

          Jamie

          On Aug 2, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Michael Trittipo wrote:

          > As for style guides, I don't think one often goes wrong with the
          > Chicago
          > Manual of Style on the U.S. side of the Atlantic. I dislike the
          > Associated Press guide myself. I don't have personal experience with
          > the Oxford or Cambridge guides from the U.K.

        • Jennifer Hejtmankova
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
            Thanks Jamie, I'll look into it!

            Thanks, too, Michael, for your input.