Help: idiomatic expression

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
      Hi there,

      This might seem like a dumb question for native speakers, but I am a bit stumped by the folllowing:

      Prave ted vymysli projekt, diky nemuz by se odlozene deti mohly snaz vracet do normalniho zivota s pomoci sportu. Ceho taky jineho u zavodnika, ktery treba predloni v Monaku, na mistrovstvi sveta v biathle, kombinujicim bìh a plavani v mori, skoncil dvacaty

      The problem expression for me is "Ceho taky jineho..."

      I would be really gratefull if some could shed some light on it for me :-(

      Coilin
    • Alena Rysková 2e
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
        In my opinion,
        verb is missing: Co taky jineho ocekavat od...
        Alena

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
          Well, it is a clumsy Czech sentence with something missing:

          Ceho se taky nadit jineho u zavodnika, ... or

          Co taky cekat jineho od zavodnika, ...

          Honza

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
            Hi,

            It's a weird phrase but they want to say sth like "no surprise (that he focuses on sports activities), as he is a sportsman/contestant who..."

            HTH
            Petr

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
              Aha so something like "What else would you expect from a competitor like this who last year finished 12th in the blah, blah...

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Rysková 2e <preklady@...> wrote:

              > In my opinion,
              > verb is missing: Co taky jineho ocekavat od...
              > Alena

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
                Hi, Coilin!
                I suppose that the intended meaning is: "S pomoci ceho jineho by se taky mel vratit do zivota zavodnik, ktery treba...", so the possible translation could be: "What else could help for instance an athlete who...". HTH.
                Regards,
                Jarda

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
                  Thanks a lot Jan, Alena, JArda and Petr
                  Coilin
                  > Aha so something like "What else would you expect from a competitor like this who last year finished 12th in the blah, blah...

                  And that should be "the year before last", of course :-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
                    Hi Coilin,

                    This "Ceho" is a relative pronoun referring to the noun "sportu" in the
                    previous sentence; they're both in singular genitive - no mystery. Your
                    "What else" is fine, "would you expect" is additional, not explicit in the
                    Czech text, but makes a good sense and is easier to comprehend...

                    06:08:00

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
                      It's not very smart and not very clean (grammatically), but the mean "ceho asi jineho nez sportu"

                      The first sentence ends with sportu.. the second starts: And what else (than sport) could we expect from an athlete...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 17, 2009
                        Ceho taky jineho ocekavat od dnesnich novinaru, publicistu, atp..? ;-)
                        (Including those who proudly sign themselves PhDr, JUDr, Mgr, etc.).

                        Gerry

                        On 17/07/2009, coilinoc <coilinoc@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks a lot Jan, Alena, JArda and Petr
                        > Coilin
                        > > Aha so something like "What else would you expect from a competitor like
                        > this who last year finished 12th in the blah, blah...
                        >
                        > And that should be "the year before last", of course :-)
                        >

                        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Alena Rysková 2e <preklady@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > In my opinion,
                        > > > verb is missing: Co taky jineho ocekavat od...
                        > > > Alena

                        V lesíčku 5
                        150 00 Prague 5
                        Czech Republic