Re: INFO: Literature (was "The Noun in Translation")

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
      > >Another book worth
      > >mentioning is "Cesko-anglicky ekonomicky slovnik" by Aliberto Caforio,

      > Michael

      Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny slovnik
      cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
      Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
      1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

      Kostas

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
        Michael Grant wrote:

        > Who is Caforio, anyway? His name certainly doesn't sound Czech or English.

        I don't have a clue, but I don't care either. If I see a book by him, it'll
        be a good reference for me, though.

        Jirka Bolech
        Liberec, CR
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
          >Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny slovnik
          >cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
          >Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
          >1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

          Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap. The
          Odborny slovnik cesko-anglicky z oblasti danove a ucetni by
          Bocankova, Kalina, and Oherova in the same series (blue-green cover)
          is better, but the best reference for Czech-English accounting
          terminology (not exactly a dictionary) is Ucetnictvi versus
          Accounting by Miller and Mladek. It cost a cool Kc 1470 when I bought
          it probably three years ago, but was worth every heller.

          Michael
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
            > >Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
            slovnikcesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
            > >Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
            > >1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).
            >
            > Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap.

            No, its a white book with red letters on the cover.
            What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik (one volume
            for each of both directions).
            What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
            very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

            Kostas
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
              > > Is that the one with the yellow cover? Yes, it's a piece of crap.
              >
              >No, its a white book with red letters on the cover.

              Right, that's the one I was thinking of. Useless. The yellow ones are
              Czech-German, aren't they?

              Michael
            • Kostas Zgafas
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 16, 2000
                And you woudn�t believe if I tell you that a friend of mine gave me xeroxed
                pages of an old Poldauf�s economic dictionary made in 60�s , and it matched
                exactly that dictionary we are talking about (1996!!!). Shame.

                Kostas

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                  > From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>
                  >
                  > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
                  slovnik
                  > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                  > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                  > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).

                  > Kostas

                  Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
                  what I am looking for. But what is really great is a SW En/Cz dictionary by
                  K+K Commercial Services, Brno. Several modules, including business/legal,
                  technical, medical, pharmacology, chemical, etc. Not that they would be that
                  good in searching for terms - they�ve simply stolen out several existing
                  printout dictionaries (including Pravni - Chroma, for instance).

                  Martin
                • Otto Pacholik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                    > What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik
                    > (one volume
                    > for each of both directions).
                    > What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
                    > very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

                    I do agree this dictionary is quite useful. Ther reason is, IMHO, technical
                    terms have to stay identic notwithstanding a political regime. There exists
                    a slightly newer version of the English-Czech technical dictionary. It was
                    published in 1998 by Sobotales, authors are Jiri Elman and Vaclav
                    Michalicek. There are some changes, however not very substantial.

                    Have a nice day

                    Otto
                  • Otto Pacholik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                      > > Right, that's the one I was thinking of. Useless. The yellow ones are
                      > > Czech-German, aren't they?

                      You are perfectly right. But the yellow ones come from the Fraus publishing
                      house, not from Linde. English dictionaries published by Fraus are blue.

                      Otto
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 2000
                        Kostas Zgafas wrote:

                        > What I appreciate is the generally well-known Technicky slovnik (one
                        volume
                        > for each of both directions).
                        > What I like on it (and must say find quite surprising) is that it contains
                        > very authentical entries, although it was done during communism.

                        Very true. I wish there were more dictionaies like this one (or rather these
                        two). It again contrasts strongly with a bidirectional dictionary "...
                        elektrotechnicky a elektronicky..." by Libuse Malinova's team (SNTL 1982).

                        Jirka Bolech
                        Liberec, CR
                      • Michael Grant
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 19, 2000
                          > > Another book worth mentioning (but in a negative sense) is "Odborny
                          >slovnik
                          > > cesko-anglicky z oblasti ekonomicke, obchodni, financni a pravni" by
                          > > Kolektiv autoru katedry anglickeho jazyka VSE v Praze, Linde Praha a.s.,
                          > > 1996. It should be displayed in a Hall of Shame (if there were one).
                          >
                          > > Kostas
                          >

                          >Seconded. I�ve got an earlier edition (1994), and I can almost never find
                          >what I am looking for.

                          Pozor--even if you do find it, chances are that the equivalents
                          listed will be wrong.
                          Michael