Re: [Czechlist] "mains"

  • Mihail Mihaylov
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 8, 2009
      Be ready for the reality. Don't know about British but this is the common usage in Chinglish, Jenglish, Denglish, Danglish, Dunglish, Frenglish, Czenglish and many other hitech languages.

      Caution: Electric shock can occur (option).

      Keep warned,

      Mihail

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 8, 2009
        I'm assuming these must have been translated from other languages,
        because I am fairly certain that fewer than 10 percent of North
        American consumers would understand "mains" used in that way.

        Compounds like "mains adaptor" violate a general morphological rule of
        English, which is that in the majority of cases a compound cannot be
        formed with a plural suffix on anything but the last element. This is
        why it appears so bizarre to me. When dealing with water and gas
        mains, we use "main", as in "main break", "main connector". There's
        no confusion, because the stress is on "main" and not on both
        elements. "Mains adaptor" sounds like "shoes store" or "cars dealer",
        very non-English.

        Jamie

        On Jul 8, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

        > Surprising, very surprising. I see this term and the related
        > constructs
        > very often in various consumer electronics manuals from all over the
        > world, including North America.

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 8, 2009
          I dunno, I seem to run across plural modifiers in UK English fairly
          often and I suspect it's an AE/BE thing. Perhaps our British
          colleagues will comment in the morning.

          Michael

          On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM, James Kirchner<jpklists@...> wrote:

          > I'm assuming these must have been translated from other languages,
          > because I am fairly certain that fewer than 10 percent of North
          > American consumers would understand "mains" used in that way.
          >
          > Compounds like "mains adaptor" violate a general morphological rule of
          > English, which is that in the majority of cases a compound cannot be
          > formed with a plural suffix on anything but the last element. This is
          > why it appears so bizarre to me. When dealing with water and gas
          > mains, we use "main", as in "main break", "main connector". There's
          > no confusion, because the stress is on "main" and not on both
          > elements. "Mains adaptor" sounds like "shoes store" or "cars dealer",
          > very non-English.
          >
          > Jamie
          >
          > On Jul 8, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:
          >
          >> Surprising, very surprising. I see this term and the related
          >> constructs
          >> very often in various consumer electronics manuals from all over the
          >> world, including North America.

          You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with what you have
          to be happy with.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 8, 2009
            I first became aware of the rule through a morphology exercise in a
            British-written linguistics textbook. :-)

            Jamie

          • culka@ttc.cz
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 8, 2009
              Good morning,
              I am far from being a NS but I am an electrician. And I have met "mains"
              very very often never percepting this being a plural. In my
              experience "mains" is a synonym to "grid" or "network", and has nothing to
              do with "main".
              Honza

              James Kirchner <jpklists@...> napsal(a):

              > I first became aware of the rule through a morphology exercise in a
              > British-written linguistics textbook. :-)
              >
              > Jamie
              >
              > On Jul 9, 2009, at 12:15 AM, Michael Grant wrote:
              >

              > > I dunno, I seem to run across plural modifiers in UK English fairly
              > > often and I suspect it's an AE/BE thing. Perhaps our British
              > > colleagues will comment in the morning.
              > >
              > > Michael
              > >
              > > On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM, James
              > > Kirchner<jpklists@...> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I'm assuming these must have been translated from other languages,
              > > > because I am fairly certain that fewer than 10 percent of North
              > > > American consumers would understand "mains" used in that way.
              > > >
              > > > Compounds like "mains adaptor" violate a general morphological
              > > rule of
              > > > English, which is that in the majority of cases a compound cannot be
              > > > formed with a plural suffix on anything but the last element. This
              > > is
              > > > why it appears so bizarre to me. When dealing with water and gas
              > > > mains, we use "main", as in "main break", "main connector". There's
              > > > no confusion, because the stress is on "main" and not on both
              > > > elements. "Mains adaptor" sounds like "shoes store" or "cars
              > > dealer",
              > > > very non-English.
              > > >
              > > > Jamie

              > > the

              > > --
              > > You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with what you have
              > > to be happy with.

            • Simon Vollam
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 9, 2009
                > How often do the British use the word "mains" in the electrical sense,
                > in expressions like "mains adaptor", "mains supply", "mains cable",
                > etc., instead of "power" or "electrical"?

                All the compounds you mention above are routinely used in BrE, but "power" and "electrical/electricity" are perfectly acceptable alternatives. "Mains" refers to the distribution network, whereas "main" refers to the principal cable. I guess that's why it stays in the plural as a modifier - for reasons of clarity (rather like the plural use of "Securities" in "Securities and Exchange Commission"?).

                > Despite having had to read at technical material from various
                > countries for decades, last week was the first time in my entire life
                > that I had ever encountered the word "mains" used that way,

                You amaze me.

                Simon
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 9, 2009

                  > If anyone can explain the semantic and grammatical logic of forming
                  > compounds with "mains" this way, I'd appreciate it.

                  This issue cropped up a few months back and I seem to recall Jirka B. pointed out that plural noun modifiers are nothing particularly anomalous (words to that effect).

                  I quote from Practical English Usage by Michael Swan (International Student's Edition) p. 532: Singular and plural noun modifiers.

                  Some nouns have the plural -s even when they modify other nouns. These include nouns which have no singular form (like clothes), nouns which are not used in the singular with the same meaning (like customs) and some nouns which are more often used in the plural than in the singular (like savings). In some cases (e.g. sport(s), drug(s)), usage is divided, and both singular and plural forms are found. In general, the use of plural modifiers is becoming more common in British English; American English often has singular forms where British has plurals. Some examples:
                  a clothes shop
                  a savings account
                  a glasses case
                  the accounts department
                  a customs officer
                  the sales department
                  arms control
                  an antique(s) dealer
                  the outpatients department
                  a greetings card (US greeting card)
                  the arrivals hall (US arrival hall)
                  a drinks cabinet (US drink cabinet)
                  a goods train (BrEng)
                  a sports car
                  sport(s) shoes

                  Do any of these forms sound very odd to you?

                  HTH

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                    Apparently I'm not so amazing. Over the weekend I've asked several
                    people who should know, including engineers, skilled tradesmen at
                    factories and people who rehab houses, and they have never heard
                    "mains" used in compounds involving electrical wiring. At first they
                    think I mean "main", and when I tell them it's "mains", they are
                    mystified by the expressions.

                    I have also searched the websites of several power companies, and none
                    of them use the word "mains" in reference to the electrical lines, but
                    use it only for pipes transporting water, steam and gas.

                    Clearly these compounds like "mains adaptor", "mains cable", etc., are
                    provincial usage and suitable only for materials that will absolutely
                    be confined to the UK. Anything intended to be in "international
                    English" should use "electrical", "power" or some other less opaque
                    term.

                    Jamie

                    On Jul 9, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Simon Vollam wrote:

                    > > Despite having had to read at technical material from various
                    > > countries for decades, last week was the first time in my entire
                    > life
                    > > that I had ever encountered the word "mains" used that way,
                    >
                    > You amaze me.

                  • Charlie Stanford
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                      Not sure about the "absolutely confined to the UK" Jamie and "provincial usage"!!! We like to think of ourselves as the epicentre of English..... This is all very depressing - has the sun finally set on the BrEng empire? Or are you just taking the mickey/livening things up? The question you originally asked was "How often do the British use the word "mains" in the electrical sense". If the answer is "all the time", then I think you are hard pushed to draw the conclusion that it is "provincial English". Wikipedia warns that "mains electricity" is not often used in the US and Canada - that's as maybe, but I am not sure that relegates the term to "provincial usage´"! I am pretty sure that South Africans, Australians, New Zealanders, Africans of all persuasions, Indians etc. would understand what is meant by "the mains".

                      Apparently I'm not so amazing. Over the weekend I've asked several
                      people who should know, including engineers, skilled tradesmen at
                      factories and people who rehab houses, and they have never heard
                      "mains" used in compounds involving electrical wiring. At first they
                      think I mean "main", and when I tell them it's "mains", they are
                      mystified by the expressions.

                      I have also searched the websites of several power companies, and none
                      of them use the word "mains" in reference to the electrical lines, but
                      use it only for pipes transporting water, steam and gas.

                      Clearly these compounds like "mains adaptor", "mains cable", etc., are
                      provincial usage and suitable only for materials that will absolutely
                      be confined to the UK. Anything intended to be in "international
                      English" should use "electrical", "power" or some other less opaque
                      term.

                      Jamie

                      On Jul 9, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Simon Vollam wrote:

                      > > Despite having had to read at technical material from various
                      > > countries for decades, last week was the first time in my entire
                      > life
                      > > that I had ever encountered the word "mains" used that way,
                      >
                      > You amaze me.

                      Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
                      Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 7225 spam-emailů.
                      Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
                      Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                        If it's not often used in the US and Canada (and I would confirm that
                        it's virtually NEVER used), and if people involved in the technical
                        professions here don't even seem to know it, then it is clearly
                        confined to use by a minority of the world's native English speakers.
                        "Provincial" was probably the wrong term, but it's clearly local
                        usage. I wouldn't bring places like India or Singapore into the
                        equation, because in those countries they still use terms like "school
                        servant". Besides finding the usage on NO American power company
                        sites, I searched the sites of two Australian power companies and
                        didn't find the usage there either, but I did find it on the site of a
                        South African one.

                        You're right that we all like to think of ourselves as the epicenter
                        of English, and of course we shouldn't do so. However, there is
                        another fallacious belief that is more common, which is that
                        unmodified British English is "international English". People who
                        hold this belief think that British expressions, no matter how local
                        or opaque are suitable for publications aimed at a world audience,
                        which is not the case.

                        If I run into a British term that I am not familiar with,
                        (1) I don't change it if the publication is meant exclusively for the
                        UK.
                        If the audience is international,
                        (2) I usually don't disturb the term if it is also widely known on my
                        continent.
                        If it isn't widely known on my continent,
                        (3) I still don't disturb the term if its meaning is transparent from
                        the words it is composed of.
                        If the meaning isn't transparent from the words the term is composed of,
                        (4) I change to a more transparent term (even if it's one I personally
                        wouldn't use).

                        (5) Additionally, if I have never run across the term in advanced or
                        specialized British ESL books (of which I have used many), it's doomed
                        in my translations, but only IF it's otherwise quite opaque.

                        "Mains" in its electrical usage fails tests 1 through 3 and 5. Since
                        even technical people here, even engineers I consulted who work all
                        over the world, didn't know what it meant, I assumed you more or less
                        had to have grown up in the UK to know it, so I changed it to
                        something that people less familiar with the UK would understand.

                        Terms like "mains adaptor" are particularly problematic, because they
                        don't indicate what sort of current comes out of the "mains", so that
                        would be very specifically local usage. In the States we generally
                        call such adapters by the voltage they are meant to convert, or by the
                        country whose current they are intended to convert.

                        In contrast to this, I don't change the British names of car parts,
                        because those are commonly understood even in countries that don't use
                        them.

                        An analogy would be this: In my state people get their driver's
                        licenses and plates from the "secretary of state's office". If you
                        use this term, everyone in my state knows you're picking up car
                        documents. However, I would be crazy to use the term in a translation
                        intended for the entire United States, because people in the rest of
                        the country wouldn't know what I was talking about. I have to switch
                        to "department of motor vehicles" even when talking on the telephone
                        to someone in another state. The term feels "foreign" to me, but if
                        I want to be understood by the widest possible audience, I have to use
                        it, because the term "secretary of state" would not evoke the image of
                        car documents to someone who had never heard it. I am deemed to write
                        "standard American English", but I still have to modify my terminology.

                        Jamie

                        On Jul 12, 2009, at 6:45 PM, Charlie Stanford wrote:

                        > Not sure about the "absolutely confined to the UK" Jamie and
                        > "provincial usage"!!! We like to think of ourselves as the epicentre
                        > of English..... This is all very depressing - has the sun finally
                        > set on the BrEng empire? Or are you just taking the mickey/livening
                        > things up? The question you originally asked was "How often do the
                        > British use the word "mains" in the electrical sense". If the answer
                        > is "all the time", then I think you are hard pushed to draw the
                        > conclusion that it is "provincial English". Wikipedia warns that
                        > "mains electricity" is not often used in the US and Canada - that's
                        > as maybe, but I am not sure that relegates the term to "provincial
                        > usage´"! I am pretty sure that South Africans, Australians, New
                        > Zealanders, Africans of all persuasions, Indians etc. would
                        > understand what is meant by "the mains".

                      • Valerie Talacko
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                          It is used in Australia. However, I agree that if it isn't used in the
                          US and Canada, it shouldn't be used in a translation designed to be used
                          internationally.

                          I've never come across the idea that unmodified British English is
                          "international English."

                          On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 19:53 -0400, James Kirchner wrote:

> [...]
                          > > "provincial usage"!!! We like to think of ourselves as the
                          > epicentre
                          > > of English..... This is all very depressing - has the sun finally
                          > > set on the BrEng empire? Or are you just taking the mickey/livening
                          > > things up? The question you originally asked was "How often do the
                          > > British use the word "mains" in the electrical sense". If the
                          > answer
                          > > is "all the time", then I think you are hard pushed to draw the
                          > > conclusion that it is "provincial English". Wikipedia warns that
                          > > "mains electricity" is not often used in the US and Canada - that's
                          > > as maybe, but I am not sure that relegates the term to "provincial
                          > > usage´"! I am pretty sure that South Africans, Australians, New
                          > > Zealanders, Africans of all persuasions, Indians etc. would
                          > > understand what is meant by "the mains".

                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                            Everything you ever wanted to know about plural noun modifiers (also known as adjectival nouns, noun adjuncts and attributive nouns):

                            http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mind-your-language/2012/jul/05/mind-your-language-nouns

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                              This is an interesting article, full of insight.

                              The (British) intro linguistics textbook I used to teach from held that forming compounds with the first noun in the plural was generally impossible, although your list proved that theory faulty.

                              I insist that many modern-day constructions of that type are also derived from the genitive. For example, "ladies room" should be "ladies' room", but Americans are increasingly dropping the apostrophe, due to sloppy education. The clear evidence that it's a genitive construction, at least in the US, is that so many places have lavatories and departments marked "ladies" and "mens". Obviously, nobody thinks the plural of "man" is "mens", so it has to be genitive with the apostrophe left out.

                              Some of the American examples the author mentions are odd to me. For example, "sports bra" yes, "sports car" yes, but "sport coat". I don't know why the difference. I guess because a sport coat isn't to be worn when playing sports. But why do we drive a "sports car" but a "sport vehicle"? It's mysterious.

                              In the US, we have a "drug czar" going after "drug dealers". The fact that the British can distinguish between "drugs czar" and "drug czar" indicates to me that they must pronounce "czar" differently than we do.

                              Jamie

                              On Jul 6, 2012, at 4:53 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                              > Everything you ever wanted to know about plural noun modifiers (also known as adjectival nouns, noun adjuncts and attributive nouns):
                              >

                              > http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mind-your-language/2012/jul/05/mind-your-language-nouns
                              >
                              > BR
                              >
                              > M.
                              >

                              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                              >> This issue cropped up a few months back and I seem to recall Jirka B. pointed out that plural noun modifiers are nothing particularly anomalous (words to that effect).
                              >>
                              >> I quote from Practical English Usage by Michael Swan (International Student's Edition) p. 532: Singular and plural noun modifiers.
                              >>
                              >> Some nouns have the plural -s even when they modify other nouns. These include nouns which have no singular form (like clothes), nouns which are not used in the singular with the same meaning (like customs) and some nouns which are more often used in the plural than in the singular (like savings). In some cases (e.g. sport(s), drug(s)), usage is divided, and both singular and plural forms are found. In general, the use of plural modifiers is becoming more common in British English; American English often has singular forms where British has plurals. Some examples:
                              >> a clothes shop
                              >> a savings account
                              >> a glasses case
                              >> the accounts department
                              >> a customs officer
                              >> the sales department
                              >> arms control
                              >> an antique(s) dealer
                              >> the outpatients department
                              >> a greetings card (US greeting card)
                              >> the arrivals hall (US arrival hall)
                              >> a drinks cabinet (US drink cabinet)
                              >> a goods train (BrEng)
                              >> a sports car
                              >> sport(s) shoes
                              >>
                              >> Do any of these forms sound very odd to you?
                              >>
                              >> HTH
                              >>
                              >> M.

                            • wustpisk
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                                How else can you pronounce 'czar'? (a bit like the various ways of pronouncing 'suss', I suppose ;) )

                                We do tend to spell it differently, though, in order to reflect the true pronunciation - e.g. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2161894/Drugs-tsar-soft-cannabis-We-criminalise-young-says-professor.html
                                but singular is also used: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/01/david-nutt-gordon-brown-drugs

                                In the spirit of the upcoming Olympics, one that initially sprang to mind was 'drugs cheat' - which seems to occur just as often as 'drug cheat'

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 6, 2012
                                  Some people spell and pronounce it "tsar". Most people here pronounce it "zar".

                                  JK