United Linguas (Brno) - je to sluzna agentura?

  • Helga Listen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
      Zdravim ve spolku,

      oslovila mne vyse uvedena agentura (a hned poslala i soubory) s dotazem za
      kolik a do kdy bych mohla bych tuto praci mohla udelat.

      Na mnou vysloveni udiv (odkud mne znaji a jestli je normalni neznamemu
      prekladateli poslat soubory = duverne informace klienta) odpovedeli, ze
      spolupracji hodne s prekladatli, ktere jsou uvedene v databazi JTP.

      Tim padem se ptam: Mate prosim skusenosti? Jsou solidni?

      Predem moc dekuji

      Helga

    • Marcela Bastiánová
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
        Nedávno jsem pro ně překládala, fakturu zatím neuhradili (14 dní). Také mě kontaktovali poprvé! Tak uvidíme.
        Marcela

        > Od: Helga Listen <listen@...>
        > Předmět: [jtp_obecne] United Linguas (Brno) - je to sluzna agentura?
        > Datum: 05.6.2009 12:29:13
        > Zdravim ve spolku,
        >
        > oslovila mne vyse uvedena agentura (a hned poslala i soubory) s dotazem za
        > kolik a do kdy bych mohla bych tuto praci mohla udelat.
        >
        > Na mnou vysloveni udiv (odkud mne znaji a jestli je normalni neznamemu
        > prekladateli poslat soubory = duverne informace klienta) odpovedeli, ze
        > spolupracji hodne s prekladatli, ktere jsou uvedene v databazi JTP.
        >
        > Tim padem se ptam: Mate prosim skusenosti? Jsou solidni?
        >
        > Predem moc dekuji
        >
        > Helga

      • Liz Spacilova
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
          Hi Helga,

          I thought the name rang a bell - Iveta Pecinkova asked the very same question here just a couple of days ago.

          I'd also be highly suspicious. They have no idea about your price, if you're available etc ... weird.

          Shortly after I joined JTP, several agencies called me with requests like "we have this document, XX pages from German to English, it has to be done tomorrow morning, can we send it to you?" I was the one who had to tell them to slow down, catch their breath, express themselves clearly, send me a ramcova smlouva o spolupraci and then we can talk about the future. I never heard from them again - but no regrets as their behaviour seemed so unprofessional.

          Liz

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
            Are you saying you always want a smlouva first? That's a bit red tape-ish, if you don't mind me saying so.. When I freelanced for agencies, and when I take an odd job from one even now, I don't really care, in fact if they want a ramcova smlouva and lots of other paperwork upfront, it makes me more suspicious than a rush job..

            I understand the security aspect - I was lucky to never have a problem without contracts, the one time I did have a problem with an agency, there were multiple contracts and it didn't help.. but I also think translation business hap[p[ens too fast and is too specific to be bound by contracts only..

            I wouldn't write off a client or an agency just because they want to start right away - as long as they pay the price I quote and as long as they have at least some tract record, I'm game..

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
              that was tracK record, of course :).. no pun intended with tracT

              Are you saying you always want a smlouva first? That's a bit red tape-ish, if you don't mind me saying so.. When I freelanced for agencies, and when I take an odd job from one even now, I don't really care, in fact if they want a ramcova smlouva and lots of other paperwork upfront, it makes me more suspicious than a rush job..

              I understand the security aspect - I was lucky to never have a problem without contracts, the one time I did have a problem with an agency, there were multiple contracts and it didn't help.. but I also think translation business hap[p[ens too fast and is too specific to be bound by contracts only..

              I wouldn't write off a client or an agency just because they want to start right away - as long as they pay the price I quote and as long as they have at least some tract record, I'm game..

              I thought the name rang a bell - Iveta Pecinkova asked the very same question here just a couple of days ago.

              I'd also be highly suspicious. They have no idea about your price, if you're available etc ... weird.

              Shortly after I joined JTP, several agencies called me with requests like "we have this document, XX pages from German to English, it has to be done tomorrow morning, can we send it to you?" I was the one who had to tell them to slow down, catch their breath, express themselves clearly, send me a ramcova smlouva o spolupraci and then we can talk about the future. I never heard from them again - but no regrets as their behaviour seemed so unprofessional.

              Liz

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Helga Listen" <listen@...> wrote:

              > Zdravim ve spolku,
              >
              > oslovila mne vyse uvedena agentura (a hned poslala i soubory) s dotazem za
              > kolik a do kdy bych mohla bych tuto praci mohla udelat.
              >
              > Na mnou vysloveni udiv (odkud mne znaji a jestli je normalni neznamemu
              > prekladateli poslat soubory = duverne informace klienta) odpovedeli, ze
              > spolupracji hodne s prekladatli, ktere jsou uvedene v databazi JTP.
              >
              > Tim padem se ptam: Mate prosim skusenosti? Jsou solidni?
              >
              > Predem moc dekuji
              >
              > Helga

            • Liz Spacilova
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                I dunno, Matej, I never worked at a translation agency. But I have worked in recruitment and I just could not imagine sending a client e.g. some programmer without having interviewed him/her and checked their references first.

                IMO the translation agency is a sort of recruiter, and an agency that will outsource projects to whomever they find on some database without doing some sort of screening first is not professional.

                I think they get lucky when they get you.

                Liz

                > Are you saying you always want a smlouva first? That's a bit red tape-ish, if you don't mind me saying so.. When I freelanced for agencies, and when I take an odd job from one even now, I don't really care, in fact if they want a ramcova smlouva and lots of other paperwork upfront, it makes me more suspicious than a rush job..
                >
                > I understand the security aspect - I was lucky to never have a problem without contracts, the one time I did have a problem with an agency, there were multiple contracts and it didn't help.. but I also think translation business hap[p[ens too fast and is too specific to be bound by contracts only..
                >
                > I wouldn't write off a client or an agency just because they want to start right away - as long as they pay the price I quote and as long as they have at least some tract record, I'm game..

              • Gerald Turner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Spacilova" <spacils@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Helga,
                  >
                  > I thought the name rang a bell - Iveta Pecinkova asked the very same question here just a couple of days ago.
                  >
                  > I'd also be highly suspicious. They have no idea about your price, if you're available etc ... weird.
                  >
                  > Shortly after I joined JTP, several agencies called me with requests like "we have this document, XX pages from German to English, it has to be done tomorrow morning, can we send it to you?" I was the one who had to tell them to slow down, catch their breath, express themselves clearly, send me a ramcova smlouva o spolupraci and then we can talk about the future. I never heard from them again - but no regrets as their behaviour seemed so unprofessional.
                  >
                  > Liz
                  >
                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Helga Listen" <listen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Zdravim ve spolku,
                  > >
                  > > oslovila mne vyse uvedena agentura (a hned poslala i soubory) s dotazem za
                  > > kolik a do kdy bych mohla bych tuto praci mohla udelat.
                  > >
                  > > Na mnou vysloveni udiv (odkud mne znaji a jestli je normalni neznamemu
                  > > prekladateli poslat soubory = duverne informace klienta) odpovedeli, ze
                  > > spolupracji hodne s prekladatli, ktere jsou uvedene v databazi JTP.
                  > >
                  > > Tim padem se ptam: Mate prosim skusenosti? Jsou solidni?
                  > >
                  > > Predem moc dekuji
                  > >
                  > > Helga

                  I would be suspicious of the linguistic sensitivy of any agency calling itself United Linguas. and a glance at their website confirms my suspicions.

                  FWIW

                  Gerry
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                    Yes,

                    but a lot of this can be done by just looking at a translator's Website, profile at some place AND by talking to them... AND of course by not going for the cheapest ones....

                    I think coming across Helga's various profiles and credentials online would make me sort of relaxed as an outsourcer... I wouldn't probably send her a potential assignment without first talking to her (that DOES sound a bit too quick, but perhaps they just wanted to show what the assignment involved and were just a tad too quick)... having been at both sides of the telephone line/Email server, I can sort of sympathise with someone having a busy day trying to place a translation (some freelancers do sound and are a bit slow when it comes to a rush job.. :)

                    If they were complete cowboys (I was told that meant amateurs in UK and Australia, Jamie, we discussed it before, but I just wanted to make sure..), I don't think they would be trying to get Helga, they would get a cheap Czech student who thinks they speak German.. sure, there is a possibility that they will assign this job, get it and never pay, but it would be pretty easy for the translator to get to the end client and raise hell... I always thought that would work wonders (never had to use it, though..)

                    OK, if an agency with no or dubious record asked me to do a last minute super urgent job and agreed to my super-urgent rate without arguing, and I could not get any sort of credentials from anyone, AND especially if they just Emailed me, I would probably get a bit suspicious and demand some sort of guarantee (a formal order would probably satisfy me, although I don't normally insist on them and take an Email as a PO), and I agree with Helga that it's not very usual to just send the files upfront, but that might just have been an over-active sercretary..

                    What I was trying to ask was whether it was some sort of faux-pas to call someone out of the blue with a project proposal without doing a month-long quasi-recruitment process involving references, test translations et all.. we all know the translators who are best at those (and have time for them) might not be best at what they do ...

                    When faced with an urgent friday-afternoon job, I have contacted previously unrecruited colleagues before (haven't we all?), sometimes (mostly) recommended by others, at times just found on the web... but from looking at their profiles, hearing them on the phone and considering their price and willingness to work, I almost always sort of got what I expected - which was sometimes not good enough, but it's always better to do a proof and edit than a translation when you don't have the time..

                    All I'm trying to say is that it might not be as bad or unprofessional (from my perspective at both ends of the line) to go the fast(er) way when forced to, sometimes even taking a bit of a risk just expecting to see what happens and being ready with a good editor/proofreader.. but checking the prospect in the process, so to speak, which I'm sure would work perfectly well with our esteemed colleague Helga :) I wouldn't normally try to assign major (large) jobs this way, though..

                    Now if I called you tommorow, Liz, and wanted a quick translation by Monday (making sure that it was your area of expertise first) without having done a proper "rescruitment process", what would you say? This is not a proposal, I'm off to Pardubice warbird-watching and I don't expect any more last minute disasters ... but I don't think I would be that far off the mark, recruitment or not, provided you had time, the translation would be something you've handled before and we agreed on a price reflecting the rush-factor?? (me having a bit of an idea of your abilities from here?) .. or would you have send me appropriate direction for not having done my homewor upfront??

                    I dunno, Matej, I never worked at a translation agency. But I have worked in recruitment and I just could not imagine sending a client e.g. some programmer without having interviewed him/her and checked their references first.

                    IMO the translation agency is a sort of recruiter, and an agency that will outsource projects to whomever they find on some database without doing some sort of screening first is not professional.

                    I think they get lucky when they get you.

                    Liz

                    > Are you saying you always want a smlouva first? That's a bit red tape-ish, if you don't mind me saying so.. When I freelanced for agencies, and when I take an odd job from one even now, I don't really care, in fact if they want a ramcova smlouva and lots of other paperwork upfront, it makes me more suspicious than a rush job..
                    >
                    > I understand the security aspect - I was lucky to never have a problem without contracts, the one time I did have a problem with an agency, there were multiple contracts and it didn't help.. but I also think translation business hap[p[ens too fast and is too specific to be bound by contracts only..
                    >
                    > I wouldn't write off a client or an agency just because they want to start right away - as long as they pay the price I quote and as long as they have at least some tract record, I'm game..

                  • Matej Klimes, Terminus Technicus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                      Ja teda rozhodne nechci branit nejakou agosku z Brna, ale 14 dni je v dnesni
                      dobe dost luxus, u prvni zakazky po rychle kontaktazi bych na miste agentury
                      platil co nejdrive abych vypadal dobre, zvlast pokud nejde o velkou vec, ale
                      jinak kliosi dneska blbnou vice nez jindy (nekteri pravem, jini ze sportu) a
                      plati dva i vice mesicu nazad a to kdyz se pak sejde, tak tezko drzet
                      terminy, 14 dni je ideal, ale v praxi pokud to agoska nefinancuje z
                      vlastnich zdroju dost nedosazitelny - a co vim, tak dost agosek tvrde
                      vyzaduje mesic nebo vic (takove ty triky s fakturaci prvniho dne
                      nasledujiciho po.. atd..), takze ze 14ti dnu bych si osobne masli nehazel...
                      Uz jsem taky par lidem "dluzil" vinou pozdnich plateb klientu, v posledni
                      dobe nekolikrat, ale vetsinou staci vysvetlit a v pripade nouze poslat
                      urgenci a platim i ze sveho a drive nez dostanu od kliosu, pokud je ovsem z
                      ceho (kontokorent ma taky sve dno, ze..)

                      Je fakt ze je vsude spousta amateru a clovek by se asi mel mit na pozoru,
                      ale ja musim ruct ze tyhle veci (objednavky a smlouvy) dost zanedbavam,
                      prvni kontakt beru jako prilezitost a protoze vetsinou nejde o horentni sumy
                      a zakazky na dva mesice prace beru to jako zkousku a zatim to fungovalo,
                      jakz takz, ale zaroven si troufam tvrdit, ze behem komunikace se da
                      odhadnout mira profesionality a podle toho se rozhodnout.. me to teda zatim
                      skoro vzdy vyslo... a jak rikam, obcas jsem mozna pusobil zase ja moc hrr,
                      takze to chapu a ocenuju pohotove a rychle se rozhodujici prekladatele, i
                      kdyz teda vetsinou dneska uz kontaktuju jen ty nekym doporucene, to je
                      vzdycky nejlepsi.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                        Souhlasim, Mateji. Pokud zni klient rozumne, bez papirovani se rad
                        obejdu, a nebudu se na nej mracit. Jiste, je to urcite riziko, ale mne
                        osobne se zatim vyplaci.

                        Urcite je neco jineho dohodnout se s prekladatelem, od nehoz ti staci
                        jedine - slusne odvedeny preklad vcas - nez s nekym, kdo ma pracovat
                        osobne u klienta, treba i dlouhe dny a tydny. Tam je rizikovych faktoru
                        o dost vic.

                        Na druhe strane, uz jsem zazil frajery (vetsinou odkudsi z Ciny nebo
                        Indie), co mi - zcela neznamemu cloveku - poslali soubor, a rovnou mi k
                        nemu oznamili, kdy to odevzdam (nejlip vcera), a ze za to dostanu tri
                        centy za slovo. Ani se neptali, jestli chci...

                        Martin

                      • Liz Spacilova
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2009
                          Matej,

                          If I have no idea who the hell I am dealing with - except that they are an agency - then yes, I want to have some sort of agreement.

                          Liz