Copyright-free literature

    Message 1 of 5 , May 23 6:22 PM
      Does anyone know if there's an abundant source of copyright-free Czech
      literature in electronic form comparable to Project Gutenberg?

      An unrelated question: Does the Czech Republic, or any other "Central
      and East European" state, have a federal department and tax-supported
      budget for the purpose of promoting pop music acts, similar to the
      departments Sweden, Ireland and France have? I've noticed a flood of
      music videos from Slovenia on YouTube -- seemingly more numerous than
      the number posted from many larger European countries -- and I'm
      starting to suspect they might have such a government department.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 24 1:33 AM

        > Does anyone know if there's an abundant source of copyright-free Czech
        > literature in electronic form comparable to Project Gutenberg?

        Not really an abundant source, but you might find something of interest in the "Capek" or the "Klasika" sections at this site, which I found some time ago:
        http://e-kniha.webovastranka.cz/

        I think you might have better luck with Slovak literature:
        http://zlatyfond.sme.sk/index.php

        Message 3 of 5 , May 24 6:30 AM
          Thank you, Melvyn.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 5 , May 24 12:13 PM
            Also note, it is surprising how much fine Czech literature can be dug out of the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org . I just downloaded a nice scanned pdf of Goticka duse by the great Jiri Karasek ze Lvovic, and I found a bunch of cool stuff there by some dude called Karel Hynek Macha. Wonder what else is in there.

            On the subject of e-books I must put in a quick plug for my Nokia 9300, which has an excellent screen for reading (scrolling text optional), whether in direct sunlight or on the late night bus home. Several reviews back me up on this - why splash out on a Kindle when you can get one of these things second-hand for a few bob?

            Admittedly, books printed on dead trees are not interrupted by text messages reminding you to buy something for the cat...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
              To come back to this query:

              You may find more Czech classics in the Klasika section here:

              http://palmknihy.cz/

              Karel Capek's works are to be found here:

              http://capek.misto.cz/prepisy.html

              I am told that the Czech National Library is working on a digital library of old books and periodicals: http://kramerius.nkp.cz . Just at the moment it seems to be all sizzle and no sausage, but might be worth checking back later sometime.