Re: [Czechlist] Re: What cripples googlin'

    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2009
      Yes, the minus sign works wonders, but first one has to spend time
      figuring out what to eliminate.

      Sometimes it's easy enough, but if you ain't hip to what be happnin',
      it's very difficult to determine how to get useful hits.

      The frustration that provoked the post was this: I had to translate a
      French text containing the names of some museum exhibitions, which
      also had to be translated. They were generally straightforward, but
      there was one in which I sensed some intertextuality, and I didn't
      feel I could translate the title well until I'd found it. It so
      happened that some French musical group's hit of the same name had
      resulted in masses of web pages, many of which contained the title but
      no sure hooks that I could tack that minus sign in front of to get rid
      of the pop music references.

      What I finally did was go to Google images. A few pages in, I found
      out that the museum show's title was the same as that of the French
      translation of Edward Bellamy's 19th-century utopian novel "Looking
      Backward". That was close enough for jazz, and I was able to
      translate the exhibition title more adequately.

      Jamie

      On May 12, 2009, at 2:31 PM, melvyn.geo wrote:

      > The - sign can be very handy for eliminating unwanted associations.
      > Just tried <"strawberry fields" -beatles -lennon -mccartney> and
      > actually got a first google page of almost fab-four-free hits, with
      > lots of pictures of fields where strawberries grow.
      >
      > What is your specific problem here?
      >
      > BR
      >
      > M.
      >
      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > One of the worst things that can happen to a translator nowadays is
      > > for some rock band, comedian or pop novelist to choose a common
      > idiom,
      > > old book title or technical term for the title of their new work,
      > and
      > > then to have it get very popular.
      > >
      > > The translator then has to devise strategies to eliminate the
      > piece of
      > > pop culture from the Google searches so that he can get to the
      > > information he wants.
      > >
      > > I'm not good at it.
      > >
      > > Jamie

    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 12 , May 12, 2009
        You may find for this purpose very handy the following page: the advanced search page. I use it (almost) as my default search page. There are also more search features beyond eliminating unwanted words.

        http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

        K.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2009
          There's an article in TechCrunch just today on Google's latest search options:

          http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/google-launches-search-options-declares-real-time-search-biggest-challenge/

          the museum show's title was the same as that of the French
          > translation of Edward Bellamy's 19th-century utopian novel "Looking
          > Backward". That was close enough for jazz, and I was able to
          > translate the exhibition title more adequately.

          Cent ans après: ou, l'an 2000?

          Message 4 of 12 , May 13, 2009
            Curses, my last message has not got through yet. How many times do I have to kick my computer before I get this stupid internet thing (it'll never catch on) to work properly??

            Just wanted to say there was recently an item on TechCrunch about the latest search options on Google:

            Message 5 of 12 , May 13, 2009
              Just wondering where to find exactly that search page the article refers to.

              K.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=cs

                kzgafas napsal(a):

                > Just wondering where to find exactly that search page the article refers to.
                >
                > K.

                > "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Curses, my last message has not got through yet. How many times do I
                > have to kick my computer before I get this stupid internet thing (it'll
                > never catch on) to work properly??
                > >
                > > Just wanted to say there was recently an item on TechCrunch about the
                > latest search options on Google:
                > >

                > http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/google-launches-search-options-declares-real-time-search-biggest-challenge/
                > <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/google-launches-search-options-declares-real-time-search-biggest-challenge/>
                > >

                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                > > the museum show's title was the same as that of the French
                > > > translation of Edward Bellamy's 19th-century utopian novel "Looking
                > > > Backward". That was close enough for jazz, and I was able to
                > > > translate the exhibition title more adequately.
                > >
                > > Cent ans après: ou, l'an 2000?
                > >

                > > BR
                > >
                > > M.

              • kzgafas
                Message 7 of 12 , May 14, 2009
                  Ja bych chtel vedet link presne na tu stranku google, o ktere se pise v clanku, ktery zde uvedl Melvyn. Nevedel bys, Melvyne?

                  KZ

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Martin Janda <mjanda@...> wrote:

                  > http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=cs
                  >

                  > kzgafas napsal(a):
                  > >

                  > > Just wondering where to find exactly that search page the article refers to.
                  > >
                  > > K.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Curses, my last message has not got through yet. How many times do I
                  > > have to kick my computer before I get this stupid internet thing (it'll
                  > > never catch on) to work properly??
                  > > >
                  > > > Just wanted to say there was recently an item on TechCrunch about the
                  > > latest search options on Google:
                  > > >

                  > > http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/google-launches-search-options-declares-real-time-search-biggest-challenge/
                  > > <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/12/google-launches-search-options-declares-real-time-search-biggest-challenge/>
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, James Kirchner <jpklists@> wrote:
                  > > > the museum show's title was the same as that of the French
                  > > >
                  > > > Cent ans après: ou, l'an 2000?
                  > > >

                  > > > BR
                  > > >
                  > > > M.

                • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 14, 2009
                    I get the options page by running a search, then on the search
                    results page, there's a link at the top (under the logo but above the
                    search results) that says "Show options". When I click on that, I
                    get the left side nav bar that you can see in Melvyn's linked article.

                    HTH,
                    jennifer

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 14, 2009
                      Nevim, jaka presne to ma byt stranka, ale ty volby, o kterych se v
                      clanku pise, jsou k mani na adrese, kterou jsem psal predtim...

                      M.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 14, 2009
                        Mas dalsi popis tady:

                        http://www.dullest.com/blog/google-searchology-2009-search-options-google-squared-rich-snippets/

                        Google Search Options. Marissa Mayer referred to this as a handy "toolbelt" that lets you slice and dice your search results. You can do a search such as [cfl light bulb] and look above the search results for a "Show options…" link.

                        Nejde totiz o staly odkaz nebo stranku. Je to chytra vecicka, ktera se objevi jako "Show options..." nalevo nahore po zadani retezce v gugliku. Aspon v anglicke verzi.