help CES-ENG rigorozni prace

  • Helena Subrtova
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2009
      Hello,
      I wonder if anybody could help me with:
      bakalarska prace
      rigorozni prace
      disertacni prace
      habilitacni prace
      (at Czech universities).
      I need an equivalent for a NS in Britain.

      Thanks,

      Helena
    • Emma Hradecka
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 26, 2009
        I can help you with the following:

        bakalářská p. - bachelor thesis (don't know whether to capitalise it or not, I've seen both) / title is Bc.
        diplomová p. - diploma thesis - title is Mgr./MA/MSc
        rigorózní p. - ? - Czech title PhDr., RNDr., JUDr. etc.
        dizertační p. - dissertation thesis - current title Ph.D. (previously CSc. I think)
        habilitační p. - ? - Czech title Doc.
        profesura - don't know if there is a "thesis", Czech title is Prof.

        I will ask about the two I don't know. Rigorozni prace/zkouska is a typical Czech thing, nothing international. My boyfriend is just after the Ph.D. stage, but he's not a linguist so he's not sure about the other Eng expression either. We will ask one Prof., I think he will be able to help.

        Emma H.

        I need an equivalent for a NS in Britain.

        Thanks,

        Helena

      • Charlie Stanford
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
          I think in Britain at least we talk about a BA dissertation or a BA project and an MA dissertation or MA project rather than a "bachelor thesis" or "MA/masters thesis". Google them and you will see what I mean - although there are plenty of hits for thesis they are mainly from mainland European universities. Thesis is used more for PhDs.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
            I think that here you have to consider the specifics of the environment - does the reader need to realise immediately that this is a Czech environment?
            Anyway, looking for more comments by native speakers .

            E.

            I think in Britain at least we talk about a BA dissertation or a BA project and an MA dissertation or MA project rather than a "bachelor thesis" or "MA/masters thesis". Google them and you will see what I mean - although there are plenty of hits for thesis they are mainly from mainland European universities. Thesis is used more for PhDs.

            I need an equivalent for a NS in Britain.

            Thanks,

            Helena

            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            Translators' tricks of the trade:

            http://czeng. wetpaint. com/

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Charlie Stanford
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
              An MPhil is half way to a PhD - don't know if that equates to rigorozni p.?

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
                I recall my Pedagogicky slovnik equates rigorozni with viva voce examinations. I'm on my travels at the moment, so I can't check it out but evidence on Google seems to support the idea:

                CR, (5-year studies + viva voce); (5let + rigorózní zkouška),www.zurkovi.com/theblind.html

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Stanford" <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

                > An MPhil is half way to a PhD - don't know if that equates to rigorozni p.?

              • Emma Hradecka
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
                  I already got the answer from the professor and, obviously, it's quite a mess.
                  Because I do many translations from the academic sphere, I made an excel document, which will hopefully help a bit. I am attaching it, feel free to keep it, and what is more important, I would like to ask esp. the native speakers to fill in their suggestions and send it back :-). Or just send me the suggestions via email and I will fill it in.
                  Thanks for your cooperation.
                  Emma

                  I recall my Pedagogicky slovnik equates rigorozni with viva voce examinations. I'm on my travels at the moment, so I can't check it out but evidence on Google seems to support the idea:

                  CR, (5-year studies + viva voce); (5let + rigorózní zkouška),www. zurkovi.com/ theblind. html

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com, "Charlie Stanford" <charliestanfordtra nslations@ ...> wrote:

                  > An MPhil is half way to a PhD - don't know if that equates to rigorozni p.?

                • Emma Hradecka
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
                    I forgot I can't send an attachment. I will try to copy and paste. E.

                    Czech

                    English

                    Czech title

                    English equivalent

                    bakalář

                    bachelor

                    Bc.

                    BA

                    bakalářská práce

                    bachelor thesis

                    BA project/dissertation

                    magistr

                    master

                    Mgr.

                    MA, MSc

                    diplomová práce

                    diploma thesis

                    MA project/dissertation

                    inženýr

                    engineer

                    Ing.

                    MSc?, Eng.?

                    doktor

                    PhDr., RNDr., JUDr.

                    MPhil.

                    lékař

                    medial doctor

                    MUDr.

                    rigorózní práce

                    viva voce

                    doktor

                    Ph.D.

                    Ph.D.

                    disertační práce

                    doctoral thesis

                    docent

                    associate professor?

                    Doc.

                    Assoc. Prof.? / Dr. hab.
                    (Germany)

                    habilitační práce

                    habilitation thesis

                    profesor

                    Professor

                    Prof.

                    Prof.

                    Academic job structure
                    at Czech universities:

                    Note:

                    doktorand = asistent

                    Ph.D. student = assitant

                    usu responsible of seminars
                    / practicals, only give "zápočet"

                    odborný asistent

                    assitant lecturer

                    can also give lectures =
                    responsible for the whole subject, examination, let the student pass/fail the
                    subject

                    docent

                    associate professor,
                    adjunkt (Germany)

                    profesor

                    (full) professor

                    Mgr. Emma Hradecká
                    Preklady, tlumoceni
                    Translations, interpreting
                    +420 777 138008
                    www.prekladytlumoceni.com

                    I recall my Pedagogicky slovnik equates rigorozni with viva voce examinations. I'm on my travels at the moment, so I can't check it out but evidence on Google seems to support the idea:

                    CR, (5-year studies + viva voce); (5let + rigorózní zkouška),www. zurkovi.com/ theblind. html

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com, "Charlie Stanford" <charliestanfordtra nslations@ ...> wrote:

                    > An MPhil is half way to a PhD - don't know if that equates to rigorozni p.?

                  • Emma Hradecka
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 27, 2009
                      Not working either. Well, just wanted to help.

                      bakalar (Bc.) - bachelor (BA) - bakalarska prace - bachelor thesis - BA dissertation/projectmagistr (Mgr.) - master (MA, MSc) - diplomova prace - diploma thesis - MA           dissertation/projectinženýr (Ing.) - engineer? (MSc?, Eng.?)
                      doktor (PhDr., RNDr., JUDr.) - ? (MPhil.) - rigorozni prace - viva vocelékař (MUDr.) - medial doctor (?)doktor (Ph.D.) - ? (Ph.D.) - disertační práce - doctoral thesisdocent (Doc.) - associate professor? (Assoc.Prof.?, Dr.hab. (Germany)) - habilitacni prace - habilitation thesisprofesor (Prof.) - (full) professor (Prof.?)

                      From: melvyn.geo <zehrovak@dr. com>

                      To: Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com

                      Date: Monday, 27 April, 2009, 9:52 AM

                      I recall my Pedagogicky slovnik equates rigorozni with viva voce examinations. I'm on my travels at the moment, so I can't check it out but evidence on Google seems to support the idea:

                      CR, (5-year studies + viva voce); (5let + rigorózní zkouška),www. zurkovi.com/ theblind. html

                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogrou ps.com, "Charlie Stanford" <charliestanfordtra nslations@ ...> wrote:

                      > An MPhil is half way to a PhD - don't know if that equates to rigorozni p.?

                    • Sarka Rubkova
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 7 12:21 AM
                        Chtela bych jen dodat, ze doktorant nemusí být nutně asistentem.

                        Sarka

                        ?