Re: [Czechlist] Re: Czechistan

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 8, 2009
      > 2. Wikipedia is such an unreliable source of information that high
      > school teachers and university professors ask their students not to
      > use it.

      You present this as a fact but it sounds more like a sincere wish of
      other encyclopedia publishers who are having trouble getting over the
      fact that Wikipedia is by a huge margin the most comprehensive and most
      popular encyclopedia out there.

      A good professor will tell you, instead of simply bashing at Wikipedia,
      that you should not use ANY encyclopedia as the primary source of
      information (or the only source, which is an even worse academic sin)
      but that you can use it as the starting point of a deeper research. And
      Wikipedia is good for that because it usually gives lots of links to
      further information.

      There are many surveys focusing on the reliability of Wikipedia. For
      instance, one of them compared selected topics from Wikipedia and
      Encyclopaedia Britannica, and found them basically on par:
      An interesting reading about the topic, with surprisingly little bias
      considering it is hosted at Wikipedia itself:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia

      > The Czechs may have
      > told the English-speaking world about 15 years ago to use the term,
      > but apparently English-language lexicographers don't listen to what
      > the Czechs tell us to do with our language.

      They didn't. The Czechs told the English-speaking world 15 years ago to
      use "the Czech Republic", which the English-speaking world happily
      accepted, and that "there is no official short name", which is the
      proverbial jadro pudla.

      Josef
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 10, 2009
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <mgrant@...> wrote:

        > Whatever happened to your "choose Cheskia" movement?

        Naffink to do wiv me, gavnor. You are confusing me with another Brit. I suppose we all start to sound the same after a while.