Re: [Czechlist] Kohlrabi or not?

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi, Jamie!
      I am not an expert horticulturist, but I believe they are all kohlrabi regardless of the size. HTH.
      Regards,
      Jarda

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
        I guess you'd hate to hear me talk at home, where I often call it
        "Bohunkia" or "Bohunkistan".

        I get weary of saying all the syllables in "the Czech Republic" all
        the time, "Czechia" sounds weird, and I refuse to refer to the country
        as "Czech", as many people do. In fact, I find it less offensive to
        hear it called "Czechistan" than to hear it called "Czech". I assume
        the person who says "Czechistan" probably knows the real name of the
        country but is just being flippant, while it's a pretty sure bet that
        the person who calls the country just "Czech" doesn't really know what
        to call it.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
          Thanks, Jarda and Gerry.

          JK

          On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

          > Hi, Jamie!
          > I am not an expert horticulturist, but I believe they are all
          > kohlrabi regardless of the size. HTH.
          > Regards,
          > Jarda

        • Jan Culka
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
            All of them are kohlrabi; the latter species is called here "Gigant". 3 to 5 kgs, do not lignify, suitable for humans and for feeding animals as well. But we grow and eat also the smaller ones ..
            Honza

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
              Some things may be bigger in America, Jamie, but don't mess with our kedlubny :)

              The fact that you don't have or know the giant ones is probably down to the fact that they're not that tasty and are mainly used for cooking... what's that dish called.. all kids hate it and I don't blame them.. if yoiu want to eat them raw you're better off with the child fist-sized variety, the head-sized one makes you feel like you're munching on wood..

            • Jennifer Hejtmankova
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                I just call it "Czecho".... :)

                Jen

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                  That sounds like the sixth Marx Brother. ;-)

                  JK

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                    Imagine my experience: Some woman I was dating tells me, "My brother
                    came for a visit, and he brought me a kohlrabi!" Oh, that's nice.
                    It's like bringing someone one carrot, I thought. A few days later,
                    she says, "I'm still eating that kohlrabi. Do you want a piece?" I
                    thought of the Mickey Mouse cartoon where the family is so poor that
                    they're cutting one bean into celluloid-thin slices to share it at
                    dinner. Then she brings out what looks like a watermelon slice. I
                    thought I'd get atomic radiation sickness from it. But it tasted
                    good, and it wasn't tough.

                    Jamie

                    On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                    > Some things may be bigger in America, Jamie, but don't mess with our
                    > kedlubny :)
                    >
                    > The fact that you don't have or know the giant ones is probably down
                    > to the fact that they're not that tasty and are mainly used for
                    > cooking... what's that dish called.. all kids hate it and I don't
                    > blame them.. if yoiu want to eat them raw you're better off with the
                    > child fist-sized variety, the head-sized one makes you feel like
                    > you're munching on wood..

                  • Gerald Turner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                      Czechia sounds weird, unlike Ohio, Iowa, Idaho, Florida, America? Give me a break. It's taken you to win me over to Czechia. Well done, Jamie.

                      Gerrrry

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Thank you. Czechia is an artificially created word.

                        Ohio isn't an artificially created word; it's a Seneca word meaning
                        "great river". Iowa evolved naturally from the name of the Indian
                        tribe there. Florida comes from an old Spanish term for Easter. The
                        only unnaturally derived term in your list is America.

                        At least it's clear how to pronounce all those Indian and Spanish
                        names, because there's no spelling ambiguity. With Czechia it's
                        unclear whether the "ch" is supposed to be pronounced [k] or [ç].
                        It's got a Polish-looking beginning and a Latin-looking end, and it's
                        just awkward all the way around.

                        Now tell me who Charles Haughey is and why "Czechistan" would evoke
                        bad memories of him. That one's pretty esoteric.

                        Jamie

                        On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                        > Czechia sounds weird, unlike Ohio, Iowa, Idaho, Florida, America?
                        > Give me a break. It's taken you to win me over to Czechia. Well
                        > done, Jamie.
                        >
                        > Gerrrry
                        >
                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I guess you'd hate to hear me talk at home, where I often call it
                        > > "Bohunkia" or "Bohunkistan".
                        > >
                        > > I get weary of saying all the syllables in "the Czech Republic" all
                        > > the time, "Czechia" sounds weird, and I refuse to refer to the
                        > country
                        > > as "Czech", as many people do. In fact, I find it less offensive to
                        > > hear it called "Czechistan" than to hear it called "Czech". I assume
                        > > the person who says "Czechistan" probably knows the real name of the
                        > > country but is just being flippant, while it's a pretty sure bet
                        > that
                        > > the person who calls the country just "Czech" doesn't really know
                        > what
                        > > to call it.
                        > >
                        > > Jamie
                        > >
                        > > On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > The same beast, IMHO. And less of the Czechistan, gringo; those
                        > of us
                        > > > who live here with a political elite that reminds me of the
                        > worst days
                        > > > of Charlie Haughey in Ireland don't need to have it rubbed in :)

                        > old's
                        > > > fist.

                        > > > head of

                        > > > --
                        > > > Czech-In Translations
                        > > > V lesíčku 5
                        > > > 150 00 Prague 5
                        > > > Czech Republic
                        > > > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                        > > >
                        > > > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                        > > > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                        > > > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                        > > > And Eternity in an hour.

                      • Libor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                          Dear friends,

                          I, for one, don´t care if our dear country is in East or Central
                          Europe (see all the nowadays´quarrels), but I really don´t like
                          Czechistan. It sounds to me like Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Baluchistan,
                          Kurdistan, Absurdistan, a bit Boratesque shortly. That film for
                          example was very funny, but I don´t think he wasn´t right to make it,
                          just because he´s not Kazakh. He just added another % of negative
                          meaning to the -istan suffix. He really did wrong to Kazakhstan and to
                          Poland (with his yakshemash). I am not an English native speaker, but
                          here I am almost sure this suffix is not something you can be proud
                          of. The same in Czech, I think. In my humble opinion, why not just
                          take the advantage of the British + American... people being polite
                          and careful with the other nations and peoples´ names, trying not to
                          make any gaffe, and why call ourselves some funny names? Well, I know,
                          the Czech Republic is long, but Argentina or South Africa isn´t any
                          shorter.

                          Take care
                          :-)
                          Libor

                          www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                            I think -istan has always had and will always have this negative connotation - Borat or not... I thought the movie pretty poor taste and the "humour" pretty primitive - especially compared to his other work... it had one or two moments, but overall it was disappointing... and there were numerous opportunities for humour that would be more subtle and more funny than two hairy characters running around a hotel naked (for something like 10 minutes?)

                            Anyway, I think Jamie explained why he doesn't like Czechia (and I happen to agree with him on this one) and why and how he uses Czechistan many times on this list - I personally prefer Czecho, but everyone's entitled to their own household name for our little country - and preferences vary quite widely, as we have seen.

                            I just hope we're not going to be officially-renamed Klausistan soon (with Paroubkistan being its central province and Filipistan-Ransdorfistan struggling for recognition) :) We'd have more to wory about than the name then.. At the moment, Czechistan seems a very fitting name.

                            www.liborzajicek.wz.cz