Re: [Czechlist] Kohlrabi or not?

  • Gerald Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
      The same beast, IMHO. And less of the Czechistan, gringo; those of us
      who live here with a political elite that reminds me of the worst days
      of Charlie Haughey in Ireland don't need to have it rubbed in :)

      On 07/04/2009, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:

      > In North America, kohlrabi are about the size of a nine-year-old's fist.
      >
      > In Czechistan I saw kohlrabi the size of a bowling ball or the head of
      > John the Baptist, and people sliced them like watermelon.
      >
      > Are those the same vegetable, or is the big one not kohlrabi?

      Czech-In Translations
      V lesíčku 5
      150 00 Prague 5
      Czech Republic
      Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194

      To see a World in a Grain of Sand
      And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
      Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
      And Eternity in an hour.
    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
        Hi, Jamie!
        I am not an expert horticulturist, but I believe they are all kohlrabi regardless of the size. HTH.
        Regards,
        Jarda

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
          I guess you'd hate to hear me talk at home, where I often call it
          "Bohunkia" or "Bohunkistan".

          I get weary of saying all the syllables in "the Czech Republic" all
          the time, "Czechia" sounds weird, and I refuse to refer to the country
          as "Czech", as many people do. In fact, I find it less offensive to
          hear it called "Czechistan" than to hear it called "Czech". I assume
          the person who says "Czechistan" probably knows the real name of the
          country but is just being flippant, while it's a pretty sure bet that
          the person who calls the country just "Czech" doesn't really know what
          to call it.

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
            Thanks, Jarda and Gerry.

            JK

            On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

            > Hi, Jamie!
            > I am not an expert horticulturist, but I believe they are all
            > kohlrabi regardless of the size. HTH.
            > Regards,
            > Jarda

          • Jan Culka
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
              All of them are kohlrabi; the latter species is called here "Gigant". 3 to 5 kgs, do not lignify, suitable for humans and for feeding animals as well. But we grow and eat also the smaller ones ..
              Honza

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                Some things may be bigger in America, Jamie, but don't mess with our kedlubny :)

                The fact that you don't have or know the giant ones is probably down to the fact that they're not that tasty and are mainly used for cooking... what's that dish called.. all kids hate it and I don't blame them.. if yoiu want to eat them raw you're better off with the child fist-sized variety, the head-sized one makes you feel like you're munching on wood..

              • Jennifer Hejtmankova
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                  I just call it "Czecho".... :)

                  Jen

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                    That sounds like the sixth Marx Brother. ;-)

                    JK

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                      Imagine my experience: Some woman I was dating tells me, "My brother
                      came for a visit, and he brought me a kohlrabi!" Oh, that's nice.
                      It's like bringing someone one carrot, I thought. A few days later,
                      she says, "I'm still eating that kohlrabi. Do you want a piece?" I
                      thought of the Mickey Mouse cartoon where the family is so poor that
                      they're cutting one bean into celluloid-thin slices to share it at
                      dinner. Then she brings out what looks like a watermelon slice. I
                      thought I'd get atomic radiation sickness from it. But it tasted
                      good, and it wasn't tough.

                      Jamie

                      On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:40 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                      > Some things may be bigger in America, Jamie, but don't mess with our
                      > kedlubny :)
                      >
                      > The fact that you don't have or know the giant ones is probably down
                      > to the fact that they're not that tasty and are mainly used for
                      > cooking... what's that dish called.. all kids hate it and I don't
                      > blame them.. if yoiu want to eat them raw you're better off with the
                      > child fist-sized variety, the head-sized one makes you feel like
                      > you're munching on wood..

                    • Gerald Turner
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Czechia sounds weird, unlike Ohio, Iowa, Idaho, Florida, America? Give me a break. It's taken you to win me over to Czechia. Well done, Jamie.

                        Gerrrry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                          Thank you. Czechia is an artificially created word.

                          Ohio isn't an artificially created word; it's a Seneca word meaning
                          "great river". Iowa evolved naturally from the name of the Indian
                          tribe there. Florida comes from an old Spanish term for Easter. The
                          only unnaturally derived term in your list is America.

                          At least it's clear how to pronounce all those Indian and Spanish
                          names, because there's no spelling ambiguity. With Czechia it's
                          unclear whether the "ch" is supposed to be pronounced [k] or [ç].
                          It's got a Polish-looking beginning and a Latin-looking end, and it's
                          just awkward all the way around.

                          Now tell me who Charles Haughey is and why "Czechistan" would evoke
                          bad memories of him. That one's pretty esoteric.

                          Jamie

                          On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:

                          > Czechia sounds weird, unlike Ohio, Iowa, Idaho, Florida, America?
                          > Give me a break. It's taken you to win me over to Czechia. Well
                          > done, Jamie.
                          >
                          > Gerrrry
                          >
                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I guess you'd hate to hear me talk at home, where I often call it
                          > > "Bohunkia" or "Bohunkistan".
                          > >
                          > > I get weary of saying all the syllables in "the Czech Republic" all
                          > > the time, "Czechia" sounds weird, and I refuse to refer to the
                          > country
                          > > as "Czech", as many people do. In fact, I find it less offensive to
                          > > hear it called "Czechistan" than to hear it called "Czech". I assume
                          > > the person who says "Czechistan" probably knows the real name of the
                          > > country but is just being flippant, while it's a pretty sure bet
                          > that
                          > > the person who calls the country just "Czech" doesn't really know
                          > what
                          > > to call it.
                          > >
                          > > Jamie
                          > >
                          > > On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Gerald Turner wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > The same beast, IMHO. And less of the Czechistan, gringo; those
                          > of us
                          > > > who live here with a political elite that reminds me of the
                          > worst days
                          > > > of Charlie Haughey in Ireland don't need to have it rubbed in :)

                          > old's
                          > > > fist.

                          > > > head of

                          > > > --
                          > > > Czech-In Translations
                          > > > V lesíčku 5
                          > > > 150 00 Prague 5
                          > > > Czech Republic
                          > > > Tel/fax: ++ 420 235 357 194
                          > > >
                          > > > To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                          > > > And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                          > > > Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                          > > > And Eternity in an hour.

                        • Libor
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
                            Dear friends,

                            I, for one, don´t care if our dear country is in East or Central
                            Europe (see all the nowadays´quarrels), but I really don´t like
                            Czechistan. It sounds to me like Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Baluchistan,
                            Kurdistan, Absurdistan, a bit Boratesque shortly. That film for
                            example was very funny, but I don´t think he wasn´t right to make it,
                            just because he´s not Kazakh. He just added another % of negative
                            meaning to the -istan suffix. He really did wrong to Kazakhstan and to
                            Poland (with his yakshemash). I am not an English native speaker, but
                            here I am almost sure this suffix is not something you can be proud
                            of. The same in Czech, I think. In my humble opinion, why not just
                            take the advantage of the British + American... people being polite
                            and careful with the other nations and peoples´ names, trying not to
                            make any gaffe, and why call ourselves some funny names? Well, I know,
                            the Czech Republic is long, but Argentina or South Africa isn´t any
                            shorter.

                            Take care
                            :-)
                            Libor

                            www.liborzajicek.wz.cz
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
                              I think -istan has always had and will always have this negative connotation - Borat or not... I thought the movie pretty poor taste and the "humour" pretty primitive - especially compared to his other work... it had one or two moments, but overall it was disappointing... and there were numerous opportunities for humour that would be more subtle and more funny than two hairy characters running around a hotel naked (for something like 10 minutes?)

                              Anyway, I think Jamie explained why he doesn't like Czechia (and I happen to agree with him on this one) and why and how he uses Czechistan many times on this list - I personally prefer Czecho, but everyone's entitled to their own household name for our little country - and preferences vary quite widely, as we have seen.

                              I just hope we're not going to be officially-renamed Klausistan soon (with Paroubkistan being its central province and Filipistan-Ransdorfistan struggling for recognition) :) We'd have more to wory about than the name then.. At the moment, Czechistan seems a very fitting name.

                              www.liborzajicek.wz.cz