TERM: Listina zakladnich lidskych prav

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2000
      Hello,

      I could translate "Listina zakladnich lidskych prav" (za'kladni'ch lidsky'ch
      pra'v), the international document you know, somehow, but I bet there's
      something well-established, really authentic. It's like "Bill of Elementary
      Human Rights" but I feel that's not it. Suggestions?

      Jirka Bolech
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23, 2000
        > I could translate "Listina zakladnich lidskych prav" (za'kladni'ch
        lidsky'ch
        > pra'v), the international document you know, somehow, but I bet there's
        > something well-established, really authentic. It's like "Bill of
        Elementary
        > Human Rights" but I feel that's not it. Suggestions?

        "Fundamental" and "basic" collocate better with "human rights".

        Is this the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, or some other
        human-rights charter (Oxfam Canada seems to be promoting a "Global Charter
        for Basic Human Rights" on the Net at the moment)?

        Simon
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2000
          In a message dated 11/23/00 1:08:22 PM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

          >I could translate "Listina zakladnich lidskych prav" (za'kladni'ch lidsky'ch
          >pra'v), the international document you know, somehow, but I bet there's
          >something well-established, really authentic. It's like "Bill of Elementary
          >Human Rights" but I feel that's not it. Suggestions?

          The one in the US Constitution is just called "The Bill of Rights". The idea
          that they're basic and that they're for humans is implicit in this term.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 24, 2000

            > I could translate "Listina zakladnich lidskych prav" (za'kladni'ch
            lidsky'ch
            > pra'v), the international document you know, somehow, but I bet there's
            > something well-established, really authentic. It's like
            "Bill of Elementary
            > Human Rights" but I feel that's not it. Suggestions?

            Replace Elementary with Fundamental and that´s it.

            Cheers!

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
              Hi,

              The following was used on Cable News Network International television
              channel today: "Universal Declaration of Human Rights". I think that's
              exactly what I was after the other day.

              Jirka Bolech
            • Simon Vaughan
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
                > The following was used on Cable News Network International television
                > channel today: "Universal Declaration of Human Rights". I think that's
                > exactly what I was after the other day.

                I did ask you on Thursday evening in my response to your query:

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
                  Simon Vaughan wrote:

                  > I did ask you on Thursday evening in my response to your query:
                  >
                  > > Is this the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights ... ?

                  Sorry. I did read that but I wasn't, neither am I now, sure if, in that
                  translation I was doing, it was meant to be just this one. I think so,
                  though. The other one you mentioned, Canadian Oxfam's, is quite unlikely to
                  be it. The text was about an expropriation case here in Liberec, Czech
                  Republic.

                  Having been under high workload all week I wasn't able to find enough time
                  to respond in more length to all the posting I'd have liked to.

                  Thanks again for your help.

                  Jirka Bolech
                • Simon Vaughan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
                    > The other one you mentioned, Canadian Oxfam's, is quite unlikely to
                    > be it. The text was about an expropriation case here in Liberec, Czech
                    > Republic.

                    I only mentioned the Oxfam charter as an example of usage.

                    Simon
                  • Simon Vaughan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
                      As a postscript to last week's discussion about human-rights charters:

                      Universal DECLARATION _of_ Human Rights
                      European CONVENTION _on_ Human Rights
                      (Inter-)American CONVENTION _on_ Human Rights
                      (not to be confused with the BILL _of_ Rights in the US Constitution)
                      African CHARTER _on_ Human and Peoples' Rights

                      Simon